FIFA World Cup 2018

Lineker

I don't think there's anything that shocking about how Russia have played, really. Egypt and Saudi Arabia both were pretty apalling, and I suspect Uruguay (even though they've not really impressed either) will probably draw or beat them.

It's also fundamental to remember that their ranking was so low because they're the WC hosts, which automatically bombs your rating because of how terrible that system is. On ELO, they're #33 in the world and that puts them well above both Egypt & Saudi...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Naitch said:

I don't understand why that was a penalty (or card worthy). It clearly wasn't intentional.

It doesn't have to be intentional. Fact is Australia had a header on goal blocked by the upturned arm of an opponent. So it's a penalty and a yellow card rather than a red. Blatant for me and the studio bickering highlighted once again why ITV's coverage is inferior. Martin O'Neill was talking absolute rubbish and it quickly descended into all-out bickering between all four of them.

7 minutes ago, PanamAdam said:

It doesn't have to be intentional. Fact is Australia had a header on goal blocked by the upturned arm of an opponent. So it's a penalty and a yellow card rather than a red. Blatant for me and the studio bickering highlighted once again why ITV's coverage is inferior. Martin O'Neill was talking absolute rubbish and it quickly descended into all-out bickering between all four of them.

Yes it does. A penalty is awarded if a player handles the ball deliberately. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Yes it does. A penalty is awarded if a player handles the ball deliberately. 

His arm is angled in an unnatural position and it prevents the attempt going on goal. I can't remember a time when that wasn't a penalty.

Australia growing in confidence here, playing well without quite putting it together up front.