Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

8 hours ago, Benji said:

Hate this. I know they're struggling to move forward but this reeks of desperation. Doom is the greatest Marvel "villain" alongside Magneto, I don't want him tied up with other bullshit, I just want him to be DOOM.

They should totally bring back Chris Evans to play Magneto! :w00t:

• Haha 1

Really feel like this has been done for "The Moment" and they'll regret it. They're chasing that Phase 3 high that they've failed to recapture in any significant quantity.

Reflecting on I don't feel like any of Phase 4 has been "bad" but the magic has certainly worn off a good amount. Not seeing Deadpool until Tuesday so we'll see how that caps it off.

• Like 2

Regarding RDJ as Doom:

One of Doom's abilities is switching minds with someone. What if its not Tony Stark as Doom, but Doom's mind in Stark's body?

I'm avoiding Deadpool and Wolverine spoilers because I'm going to go see it next, but I already know about:

Spoiler

Henry Cavil as an alternate Wolverine and Nathan Fillion as Headpool.

On 28/07/2024 at 10:21, GoGo Yubari said:

tbh I can't imagine the Russos got too much of a bag given that everything they've tried to do since the MCU has seemed like even more of a failure than post-Russos MCU itself.

Have they put out anything recently? Only thing I remember was the Gray Man.

On 27/07/2024 at 22:21, GoGo Yubari said:

tbh I can't imagine the Russos got too much of a bag given that everything they've tried to do since the MCU has seemed like even more of a failure than post-Russos MCU itself.

19 hours ago, therockbox said:

Fair play to RDJ, he must be making insane money from this.

The Russo Brothers' output since Endgame has been awful, so not surprised to see them returning.

@Benji is right though, absolutely desperate stuff from Marvel.

They produced Mosul for Netflix, which has an 84% on RT

They were the producers on Everything Everywhere All At Once, which was a massive hit, critically acclaimed and won multiple awards

They both produced and Joe wrote both Extraction films.  While the first one didn't get such a great reception, the 2nd one has a 79% on RT, so it seems like critics liked it

They also produced the Citadel show on Amazon that was apparently one of the most expensive shows ever made and was a critical dud. That being said, I thought they directed/showran it too. Also forgot they were involved with EEAAO, that obviously worked out.

Looking it up, Extraction 2 had a 79% on Rotten Tomatoes but that scale doesn't tell the whole story because RT scores basically treat an A the same as a C+. On Metacritic it's a 57/100 (the first was 56/100) so basically it seems like it was a bit better than the first one but not really a monumental leap.

17 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

They also produced the Citadel show on Amazon that was apparently one of the most expensive shows ever made and was a critical dud. That being said, I thought they directed/showran it too. Also forgot they were involved with EEAAO, that obviously worked out.

Looking it up, Extraction 2 had a 79% on Rotten Tomatoes but that scale doesn't tell the whole story because RT scores basically treat an A the same as a C+. On Metacritic it's a 57/100 (the first was 56/100) so basically it seems like it was a bit better than the first one but not really a monumental leap.

On Wiki they're listed as executive producers. I thought exec. producers basically don't do anything and are only there for the name value, or am I mistaken?

11 hours ago, DMN in the House said:

Loved Deadpool and Wolverine, it was super fun, but I do have one minor qualm that I can't seem to let go...

Hide contents

You brought back The Russian from the Thomas Jane Punisher, but you didn't get Kevi Nash to play him. -5 out of 5 even in the Tokyo Dome.

Spoiler

All of the minor villain cameos were a bit strange, I guess they didn't feel it necessary to be accurate for The Russian, Psylocke, Blob and Juggernaut (although Vinnie Jones said they couldn't pay him enough to suit up again), but did bring back Ray Park and Kelly Hu as Toad and Lady Deathstrike, yet didn't give them a credit.

Also for minor uncredited cameos, Matthew McConaughey played Kid Deadpool (aka the cowboy one), and Paul Mullin played Welshpool.

RDJ being cast as Doom just shows they need to restart the whole MCU from the ground up. It's far too gone to just start lumping in major players like F4, X-Men etc without them feeling like afterthoughts. Do Secret Wars, all of the multiverse stuff, one big final shebang and then start from scratch with X-Men and F4 at the heart of it.

This all feels very after the Lord Mayor's show - lots of new characters and films nobody is interested in, pulling down interest in everything else. 

It feels a bit like internet wrestling discourse from the 2010s.  An opportunity to rocket strap a newer, less heralded actor into a big spot to possibly be a big player for the franchise for the foreseeable future.  Instead it goes to the perennial main eventer who will always move tickets even if it's not really the best thing long-term.  The company understandably sticks with its cash cow because they know the people complaining online are a wayyyy smaller portion of the overall fanbase and they know that, at the end of the day, almost everyone's gonna go see the MCU movie like they always do.

#DowneyWinsLOL

• Haha 3

Sorry lads, I saw Deadlpool and Wolverine and thought it was bad. 

Spoiler

Comics have always had a complicated relationship with finality, so it’s something I generally find quite easy to overlook. But even then there’s a real irony in the fact that - in the week where Wolverine and Downey Jr are brought back from the dead into the Marvel fold -  the only section of Deadpool and Wolverine that really works is when it gives the forgotten 20th Century Fox superheroes an ending. The film, which is completely lacking in stakes, stumbles onto this Toy Story 3 adjacent strand and it works because we understand that is (probably) it for these beloved, misfit toys. 

Hugh Jackman shines in spite of the material and Emma Corrin is a star. I'd love to see them return in the future, thought they were fucking great. 

I will say I appreciated seeing a Marvel film which is actually doing what it sets out to do, I think it just turns out that I'm not into Ryan Reynolds' schtick anymore and didn't find it funny. I do think the tone of the a multiverse - where you get a bunch of fan service (which I enjoyed!) - worked better here than it generally has. I sort of hope, as the film eludes to, we're getting towards the end of the Multiverse though. Went in hoping it'd work for me, but I'm glad it hit for a bunch of you guys! 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Chris2K said:
  Hide contents

All of the minor villain cameos were a bit strange, I guess they didn't feel it necessary to be accurate for The Russian, Psylocke, Blob and Juggernaut (although Vinnie Jones said they couldn't pay him enough to suit up again), but did bring back Ray Park and Kelly Hu as Toad and Lady Deathstrike, yet didn't give them a credit.

Spoiler

I haven't seen any of the X-Men movies beyind the first three, so I didn't recognise a lot of the cameos. Normally I don't mind that, because you can use context clues to understand what/who they are, but the one that really confused me was Azazel. Internet tells me he was in First Class, but I've never seen that and he stuck out so much, with an inordinate number of close-ups and no name given, that I spent the whole scene wondering if it was meant to be Mephisto.

Edited by Daniel Bryan

3 hours ago, The Buscher said:

It feels a bit like internet wrestling discourse from the 2010s.  An opportunity to rocket strap a newer, less heralded actor into a big spot to possibly be a big player for the franchise for the foreseeable future.  Instead it goes to the perennial main eventer who will always move tickets even if it's not really the best thing long-term.  The company understandably sticks with its cash cow because they know the people complaining online are a wayyyy smaller portion of the overall fanbase and they know that, at the end of the day, almost everyone's gonna go see the MCU movie like they always do.

#DowneyWinsLOL

This is generally going to be the big pivot of the rest of this decade. With people going to the movies less there's going to be an incredible amount of big productions "playing it safe". Recognizable names, no themes or politics, etc. Cheap, mass produced post-New Hollywood junk food only.

For example, Twisters apparently didn't mention climate change once. Everything is regressing after the strides made over the last 10-15 years. Need the safest, most sterile entertainment possible to reach the widest number of people in a shrinking core audience.

• Like 6

"Safe and sterile" would be bringing Iron Man back to lead the Avengers again, or somehow Thanos returns. Whether RDJ as Doom works or not, it's completely out of left field and undoubtedly the last thing they were expected to do.

I understand fans of the character wanting to just see the classic comics Doom on the big screen, but at least this is something new, and Downey's a great actor who can pull it off, so I really don't see the argument that this is somehow emblematic of the downfall of the MCU and cinema as a whole.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Chris2K said:
  Hide contents

Also for minor uncredited cameos, Matthew McConaughey played Kid Deadpool (aka the cowboy one), and Paul Mullin played Welshpool.

Spoiler

I can only assume it's a similar thing with Nash as it was with Jones, ever since his son passed he's been pretty open about not really wanting to leave his house.

At least Juggernaut was the right body type and is a prominent enough character that he kind of needed to be there for what they were doing. The Russian isn't, and they got a dude a foot shorter and with a different hair color. Variants explains it, but the character didn't get any lines so was really only a visual reference. It's minor, it's meaningless, it bothers me more than it should, lol.

Weren't Kid Deadpool and Cowboypool two different characters? Cowboypool was giving me Walton Goggins in Fallout vibes, but McConaughey makes sense too. Kind like when Brad Pitt played the invisible guy (was it Pitt?, I can't remember if I'm remembering the right person).

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Sorry lads, I saw Deadlpool and Wolverine and thought it was bad. 

Hide contents

Comics have always had a complicated relationship with finality, so it’s something I generally find quite easy to overlook. But even then there’s a real irony in the fact that - in the week where Wolverine and Downey Jr are brought back from the dead into the Marvel fold -  the only section of Deadpool and Wolverine that really works is when it gives the forgotten 20th Century Fox superheroes an ending. The film, which is completely lacking in stakes, stumbles onto this Toy Story 3 adjacent strand and it works because we understand that is (probably) it for these beloved, misfit toys. 

Hugh Jackman shines in spite of the material and Emma Corrin is a star. I'd love to see them return in the future, thought they were fucking great. 

I will say I appreciated seeing a Marvel film which is actually doing what it sets out to do, I think it just turns out that I'm not into Ryan Reynolds' schtick anymore and didn't find it funny. I do think the tone of the a multiverse - where you get a bunch of fan service (which I enjoyed!) - worked better here than it generally has. I sort of hope, as the film eludes to, we're getting towards the end of the Multiverse though. Went in hoping it'd work for me, but I'm glad it hit for a bunch of you guys! 

Spoiler

I feel like the Multiverse makes it really difficult to have stakes, especially considering comics/superhero is a genre where the good guys always win anyway. Then you have the fact that Deadpool and Wolverine's power sets mean they're basically unbeatable in 95% of situations, it's a recipe for non-existent stakes.

I basically agree in the Ryan Reynolds front. I do think Deadpool can be tricky to get right, and they walked the line pretty well in this one, but the character is in need of a more serious arc to add depth to him, imo. 

Deadpool & Wolverine

Spoiler

Sometimes you just need to follow the recipe and you get a great cake, which is what they did. You knew what you were getting (for the most part, Wesley Snipes return and Channing Tatum Gambit were great surprises) and I thought they did it well.

I'd like to say it filled me with renewed confidence but I always knew I was gonna like this and I still don't really care for New Cap next, but I've never thought Anthony Mackie has been a good lead. I like the cast for Thunderbolts for sure, but I'll wait and see what the idea is I guess.

Do we know which timeline Fantastic Four is set in? I've lost track if how many "main" ones there are besides 616, 10005, and was it 838 in Dr Strange 2? Although I guess that isn't as relevant now.

On 29/07/2024 at 19:12, Daniel Bryan said:

"Safe and sterile" would be bringing Iron Man back to lead the Avengers again, or somehow Thanos returns. Whether RDJ as Doom works or not, it's completely out of left field and undoubtedly the last thing they were expected to do.

I understand fans of the character wanting to just see the classic comics Doom on the big screen, but at least this is something new, and Downey's a great actor who can pull it off, so I really don't see the argument that this is somehow emblematic of the downfall of the MCU and cinema as a whole.

I would argue it's at least "safe" in the sense that their failure to create news stars and characters has necessitated bringing back their biggest actor (whose death was the crescendo to their biggest movie)  to create buzz and guaranteed butts in seats. 

I would say it's pretty clear it's a casting move born out of desperation. He's supposedly getting paid more than £80 million to do it. As an aside, paying a star over £80 million, when Marvel underpay and overwork their crew is very much a grim state of where cinema is at as a whole. Part of the ickiness around Disney, and around Marvel, is they have the power and money to change working conditions for crew members and actively choose not to. (This applies to other studios too, I just think the sheer box office success of Marvel makes them even more accountable). 

Of course, it could end up being a really interesting casting choice. It's got people talking. I get it. 

• Like 3