Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

3 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

D...do you want me to be Rihanna?

Shine bright like a oxo cube 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, therockbox said:

It wasn't just Arsenal, loads of clubs were interested in Ronaldo.

I don't think many people realise how scouting works in the real world, a player like Ronaldo would have been known and courted since about age 7.

1 hour ago, therockbox said:

Thing with Ronaldo is, truthfully we were further along the process than other clubs until Alex Ferguson got involved. He was shown around the training ground and by all accounts was happy to join, but yeah, United came in for him and obviously swayed him. 

1 hour ago, therockbox said:

We were supposedly in for him at one point, choosing to instead buy then European Young footballer of the year Hugo Viana. Whoops. 

As a Chelsea fan, I feel a bit left out with all this "we nearly signed X player..." talk. It's not got quite the same sting as "we signed virtually every player and then gave the good ones away".

• Haha 1

• Admin
26 minutes ago, stokerino said:

As a Chelsea fan, I feel a bit left out with all this "we nearly signed X player..." talk. It's not got quite the same sting as "we signed virtually every player and then gave the good ones away".

I did see the reports about Bogarde's nephew being wanted by every big club now... except Chelsea :lol: 

11 hours ago, Lineker said:

West Bromwich Albion will appoint Darren Moore as their manager after his successful stint in interim charge.

That's awesome if so, not enough clubs at that level do this. Hope he does a good job.

On Ronaldo, I have a memory from the time of reading that Liverpool were on the verge of signing him and just thinking how confusing it'd be if he turned out to be anywhere near as good as the original Ronaldo. Of course I didn't realise at the time that we'd soon be able to call the original 'Fat Ronaldo'.

11 hours ago, therockbox said:

We were close to signing him as well, it broke down because we weren't willing to meet his wage demands.

We chose to sign Harry Kewell instead.

In hindsight it sounds ridiculous but in reality, you were getting a bargain price on an established premier league player that had been linked with a £30m+ move (when that actually meant something) to some of Europe's top sides only a year beforehand. Judas McCuntface was legitimately one of the best players in the world for a while.

4 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

That's awesome if so, not enough clubs at that level do this. Hope he does a good job.

On Ronaldo, I have a memory from the time of reading that Liverpool were on the verge of signing him and just thinking how confusing it'd be if he turned out to be anywhere near as good as the original Ronaldo. Of course I didn't realise at the time that we'd soon be able to call the original 'Fat Ronaldo'.

Only utter knobheads call him Fat Ronaldo. One of the best out and out strikers in football history. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colly said:

Only utter knobheads call him Fat Ronaldo. One of the best out and out strikers in football history. 

I agree with you but for a time it was all anyone referred to him as.

When I got into football the original Ronaldo was viewed like a God. He was also the star of the first World Cup final I ever saw.