The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

35 minutes ago, Matt said:

Of course they will, they'll probably offer more on outside teams because people will want to bet on lightning striking twice. I'll bet this is the most successful premier league season ever for the bookies, they won't even have to pay each way odds on City, Chelsea, Scum and Liverpool. Having to pay a handful of customers out a few grand or whatever is nothing compared to the tens if not hundreds of millions they've raked in from the big clubs' failures.

Yeah, football wise, this season has been ok for the bookies.  The Horses haven't been so good though.

The basic rule for the bookies is they don't like it when the favourites win, for every pound they've paid out on Leicester, they'll have made fifty on Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. bets.

9 minutes ago, Colly said:

Utterly misleading. It's the biggest pay out on the basis of the longest odds on the title, but due to the nature of how the results have gone overall (teams like Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool and Everton under-performing) they have done well the rest of the season, as Gazz pointed out.  You only have needed 220,000 people to have stuck a tenner on any of the other teams for the title during the season for them to have broke even.  Given overall revenue in William Hill was £8.9bn in 2016, £2.2m is absolutely nothing.

That's how I'd assume too, but that article does say Hill's made a £2.2m loss on this season's Premier League somehow.

I just thought they'd dodge away from the silly odds to something a bit more sensibly 3 figures.

Edit: Ignore me, this is the most misleading paragraph I've ever read:

William Hill’s total payout on England’s top flight division will hit £2.2m this season – 10 times larger than its previous worst ever loss.

5 minutes ago, Colly said:

That's how I'd assume too, but that article does say Hill's made a £2.2m loss on this season's Premier League somehow.

I just thought they'd dodge away from the silly odds to something a bit more sensibly 3 figures.

Edit: Ignore me, this is the most misleading paragraph I've ever read:

William Hill’s total payout on England’s top flight division will hit £2.2m this season – 10 times larger than its previous worst ever loss.

I have read it really similarly on other websites too, can't blame you for how crap the writing is on the press' part ;) 

• Like 1

To be honest, I don't follow the Premier League all that closely but I needed to stop in to just say bravo to Leicester.  I can always appreciate a great sports story and I doubt anything this improbable will happen in US sports anytime soon.  The closest US sports equivalent I could find in terms of odds was 16th seeded team winning the 64 team NCAA tournament, and a 16 seed has never beaten a 1 seed.

In the four major pro league sports here you can't even find anything close to Leicester's 4000-1 odds.  The Cleveland Browns are 200-1 odds to win next year's Super Bowl.  To even come close to 4000-1 odds the NFL would need to allow a low level college team to play in the NFL for an entire season or something.

• Like 2

Arguably going for the eyes is worse than pretty much anything else I can think of (besides head or spinal injuries). The potential consequences are just so much more serious than a flesh wound or broken bone.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Benji said:

I like that @ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster was on Facebook talking about how dirty Leicester were the other week, and then Spurs get a record breaking nine yellow cards in one game and a player is facing suspension for eye gouging :shifty:

Maybe it'll mean Lineker stops waffling on about Stevie G's slip now when it comes to bottling it in title deciders. I doubt it though.

5 minutes ago, Nerf said:

Maybe it'll mean Lineker stops waffling on about Stevie G's slip now when it comes to bottling it in title deciders. I doubt it though.

I mean, there's drawing a couple of games, then there's literally slipping up, like poor Stevie. It'll never get old mate.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Nerf said:

Weren't you top when Stevie G slipped? A little different from not keeping pace with the team who have been top for a few months now. Nice try though :P

• Like 7