The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

• Admin

10 things bookies thought more likely than Leicester winning the Premier League:

Prime Minister Simon Cowell - 500/1
Piers Morgan as Arsenal manager - 2,500/1
Sir Alex Ferguson to win Strictly Come Dancing - 1,000/1
The Queen for Christmas number one - 1,000/1
Loch Ness monster to be discovered - 500/1
Triplets for Kate and William - 1,000/1
Dean Gaffney to win a best actor Oscar - 1,000/1
Kim Kardashian for US president - 2,000/1
Is Elvis alive? - 2,000/1
Radio 1 DJ Nick Grimshaw to win an Olympic gold in Rio - 5,000/1 (same as Leicester!)

• Like 4

• Admin

Mamadou Sakho is facing a lengthy suspension from the game after the Liverpool defender decided not to challenge the results of his failed drugs test.

The France international has accepted the findings of a drugs test taken after the Europa League tie at Manchester United on 17 March, which is understood to have revealed evidence of a fat-burning substance, and did not request that a B sample was examined before the Uefa deadline on Tuesday. He will present mitigating evidence.

Liverpool have refused to comment on the defender’s decision, insisting it is a private matter at this stage, and Sakho will remain unavailable for selection while Uefa’s investigation continues.

Jürgen Klopp’s squad travel to Spain on Wednesday for their Europa League semi-final first leg against Villarreal on Thursday and the £19m centre-half was not in the travelling party.

Sakho’s acceptance of the A sample’s findings may hasten the disciplinary process, meaning his suspension from the game will start earlier than had he challenged the results.

His team-mate Kolo Touré was handed a six-month ban by the Football Association for failing a drugs test in 2011 as a result of taking his wife’s diet pills.

A similar punishment would cost Sakho his place at the European Championship to be held this summer in France.

Can see why he's done it. Probably gonna get handed a six month ban no matter what. Better get it started now, and see it through pre-season. Be back by October. Won't be miles away from the Suarez suspension a few years ago.

15 minutes ago, Work Experience Jack said:

As much as I think 6 months for failing a drugs test is fair for Sakho, it sort of rankles that 13 years ago Rio was banned for 9 months for missing a drugs test. >_>

He got eight months, no?

3 hours ago, Lineker said:

I doubt they will but in that case, he will be back for someone theoretically in October.

I don't think it will happen either, tbh.

1 hour ago, Work Experience Jack said:

As much as I think 6 months for failing a drugs test is fair for Sakho, it sort of rankles that 13 years ago Rio was banned for 9 months for missing a drugs test. >_>

In the sense that Rio should've got more or less?

1 hour ago, Colly said:

In the sense that Rio should've got more or less?

I think less, if we're saying - and I am - that 6 months for failing a drugs test for the substance that Sakho has not intentionally taken is fair.

@Nerf is correct also in that Rio got 8 months, and not 9 as I'd previously said.

But if the penalty for dodging a drug test is lower than taking and failing one then everyone would dodge them if they're taking drugs.

I always find an 'x months' ban daft, if should always be a number of games.

4 hours ago, Work Experience Jack said:

I think less, if we're saying - and I am - that 6 months for failing a drugs test for the substance that Sakho has not intentionally taken is fair.

@Nerf is correct also in that Rio got 8 months, and not 9 as I'd previously said.

I actually read your post wrong and thought you said 13 months. I wasn't being a dick about a month's difference btw :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colly said:

But if the penalty for dodging a drug test is lower than taking and failing one then everyone would dodge them if they're taking drugs.

I always find an 'x months' ban daft, if should always be a number of games.

I generally agree with that. Rio's one was particularly harsh though. I think he did a test shortly after and also conducted a follicle test and he was completely clean. He legitimately was just absent minded while Shaun Newton was coked off his head and got 7 months.

• Like 2