Tennis!

sahyder1

Was just coming in to say about her getting trounced. Svitolina also took our Jabeur, another potential pick to win. She has to be the favorite to make the Final in the top half. Gauff indeed is the favorite at this point, but would be great to see if Raducanu can make the SF against her. Her path to it is very doable.

Men's draw feels like the real final is the top half SF, a probable Sinner v Alcaraz match. Novak has a great chance to get to the Final in the bottom half. Zverev and de Minaur are definitely a tier below him on grass, probably several.

Novak's gone on an end of game rant after beating Holger Rune, saying it's wrong to disrespect people by booing them.

1) You reap what you sow, you anti-vax dickhead.

2) Quite hilariously, and to paraphrase The Simpsons, I'm pretty sure the crowd were actually shouting "Ruuuuuune".

On 08/07/2024 at 21:43, Chris2K said:

Novak's gone on an end of game rant after beating Holger Rune, saying it's wrong to disrespect people by booing them.

1) You reap what you sow, you anti-vax dickhead.

2) Quite hilariously, and to paraphrase The Simpsons, I'm pretty sure the crowd were actually shouting "Ruuuuuune".

He's a fragile little man.

And this match was definitely the hardest of the remaining matches for him before the Finals. Can't see how he's not in the Finals, rested against someone coming through a top half draw of attrition.

Paolini in the women's Final. That third set and tiebreaker was amazing tennis by both of them. Paolini's season has been sensational. She never made it past the 2nd round of a major before 2024, and she only got to the 2nd round 4 out of 16 times. Now in her age 28 season, she's reached the 4th Round at Aussie Open, and now back to back Finals at Roland Garros and Wimbledon. I feel like that's pretty unheard of for a women's tennis player to have a breakthrough this late in a career. We've seen women retire as this age, and she's reaching new highs. It's absolutely great to see!

• Like 1

Pretty amazing season for her. She's been on a climb since 2022 but really has hit her stride this year. She's been in a good doubles pairing with Sara Errani recently and also won her first WTA 1000 event this year in Dubai. It's fascinating it's all happening at 28 - because typically that's been too late for women's players.

• Like 1

It looked like it was going to be Krejcikova running away with it after the first set, but this second set has been a complete flip. Paolini broke early and the entire dynamic of the match flipped. Chrissie Evert keeps commenting that Krejcikova's body language has changed and I do wonder if realizing she was one set away from winning Wimbledon completely overwhelmed her.

Paolini just keeps smiling, can't knock her joy.

Krejcikova's tribute to Jana Novotna was touching and made me happy she won. I do hope Paolini gets another opportunity.

Italian tennis is in an excellent state these days. Aside from Paolini and Sinner's recent exploits, there are five male Italians and two female Italians in their respective top 50 rankings lists, with another couple of men in the top 60. Italy was never all that well known for its tennis players in decades past, but whatever has been done over there recently is definitely bearing fruit.

• Like 1

Phenomenal from Alcaraz, given that it's not as brutal at the top as it has been there's a real possibility he's up there with Federer for Wimbledon victories by the end of his career.