Wimbledon 2024

sahyder1

I wonder what Murrays odds were before Nadal, Federer and Tsonga were eliminated.

Something like 4/1, maybe even less - not very big at all.

The "big four" all had really short odds to begin with, presumably because if people bet each way, they get half of the odds for their player reaching the final, so the bookies were just covering themselves, basically.

Federer is now set to fall down to fifth in the World Rankings, the first time he's been out of the top four since before he won Wimbledon in 2003.

Also, with Mannarino playing Brown in the next round, a player outside the top 100 is guaranteed to reach the last sixteen.

I was and still am totally stunned that Federer is out. It's Day 3 and we have already lost Nadal, Federer, Tsonga, Sharapova and Azarenka. The players Murray was seeded to face through the later rounds are now all out - Cilic, Tsonga, Nadal/Federer. Amazing.

Greatest upset in the history of tennis. Without doubt.

I think that's pushing it somewhat. It's not even the biggest upset at Wimbledon in the last 10 years.

The BBC's Radio 5 Live pundit doesn't think much of her chances:

"Serena Williams could play about seven billion men on the planet and probably win, but Andy Murray isn't one of them. He could maybe play in heels and she could play in trainers that might even it up! Although I reckon a few guys ranked down 300 or 350 might be a little nervous if they had to play Serena for big money in Las Vegas."

More than a little condescending, claiming one of the best women ever to play the game would only have a chance against men ranked 300-350. Fairly certain she'd mop the floor with the dross Britain hands wildcards to every year, most of whom are around that ranking. Plus, the "playing in heels" bit? Really?

Lineker, is this guy as much of a twat as he's coming across here?

In fairness its Murray off the back off an Olympic gold and his first big win, in his prime, against an aging Serena. She's still very good, but even at her very best you only have to look at serve speeds to know that she'd have little chance. I'd still like to see it.

The BBC's Radio 5 Live pundit doesn't think much of her chances:

"Serena Williams could play about seven billion men on the planet and probably win, but Andy Murray isn't one of them. He could maybe play in heels and she could play in trainers that might even it up! Although I reckon a few guys ranked down 300 or 350 might be a little nervous if they had to play Serena for big money in Las Vegas."

More than a little condescending, claiming one of the best women ever to play the game would only have a chance against men ranked 300-350. Fairly certain she'd mop the floor with the dross Britain hands wildcards to every year, most of whom are around that ranking. Plus, the "playing in heels" bit? Really?

Lineker, is this guy as much of a twat as he's coming across here?

The main crux of it is that at the end of the day, Serena Williams is a woman who would be against arguably the most agile male tennis player around. She said herself of all the people she could face, Murray would be one of the worst. She hits serve speeds of around 120-125mph when at her best, which the top male players can beat. She is not even half as mobile around a court as someone like Murray either.

She could beat James Ward, the world number 200 and something sure, but she'd struggle to beat most of the top 100 male players I imagine.