Tennis!

sahyder1

Sinner is the fifth Italian tennis player to be caught with this substance in their system in a relatively short period of time. Stefano Battaglino was caught and banned in November 2023 - his punishment? Four years.

Sinner has also not lost in straight sets at all this year, and only once in straight sets in the last 52 weeks and that was to Novak Djokovic. The last and only time a player went a full season without losing in straight sets in the Open Era was Roger Federer, in 2005.

29 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Sinner is the fifth Italian tennis player to be caught with this substance in their system in a relatively short period of time. Stefano Battaglino was caught and banned in November 2023 - his punishment? Four years.

Conversely, Marco Bortolotti was found to bear no fault and was not provisionally suspended, also for clostebol in his sample, earlier this year. His prize money and results from the event he tested positive at were disqualified, same as Sinner, but that's it.

Emma Raducanu went out in the first round to Sofia Kenin, another player whose best days playing already passed her by if I'm being cruelly honest. Danielle Collins unfortunately went out first round too, in her final Major before retiring. Naomi Osaka though upset 10 seed Ostapenko! Dart and Boulter both won, for you Brits, as well as Draper.

While I like Ben Shelton, was sad he took out Thiem in straight sets. Thiem is retiring this year.

It's a big surprise, although van de Zandschlup is better than his ranking suggests. He's a former quarter-finalist and has some wins over top ten players. He could probably give Jack Draper a good challenge in the next round if he goes through.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

It's a big surprise, although van de Zandschlup is better than his ranking suggests. He's a former quarter-finalist and has some wins over top ten players. He could probably give Jack Draper a good challenge in the next round if he goes through.

He certainly likes this tournament - in his run to the quarter finals in 2021 he beat Ruud, so he's got an upset in him.

The straight sets part is insane to me. Even at two down, fully expected Alcaraz to win it in five. Botic van de Zandschulp hadn't gotten past the 2nd round of a Major since Wimbledon 22 so it's definitely a huge surprise. He also beat former top 10 player Shapovalov too in straight sets, so he's playing some great tennis. Still a massive massive upset.

7th seed Hurkacz went out in straight sets too yesterday. Wimbledon winner Krejcikova went out in straight sets Wednesday, Rybakina had to retire before her match even started yesterday, and sadly Osaka lost in straight sets. Doesn't feel like she will ever ever come close to the player she used to be.

Gauff vs Svitolina is the marquee women's match today. For me I am looking forward to Shelton vs Tiafoe today.

It's took 20 years but looks like the Big 4 era is finally at an end. It seemed like Djokovic would go on winning forever at one point! Big opportunity for someone to step up in this tournament now and get to their first semi or even final. Been keeping an eye on Jack Draper for a while now and he defo has the potential to do that especially on the hard court.

2 hours ago, Starvinho said:

It's took 20 years but looks like the Big 4 era is finally at an end. It seemed like Djokovic would go on winning forever at one point! Big opportunity for someone to step up in this tournament now and get to their first semi or even final. Been keeping an eye on Jack Draper for a while now and he defo has the potential to do that especially on the hard court.

Draper has the perfect chance to make it to the Semifinals now. Huge opportunity for him. Sinner still feels the odds on favorite to make it to the finals from the top half, but the bottom half feels wide open. Just hope it's not that cunt Zverev.

I still assume Djokovic makes it to 25, and paired with the Olympic Gold he just won, pretty much makes it impossible to not call him the greatest ever. But hopefully once that's all settled it means he retires and fucks off forever.

Would like to quantify if a lot of the upsets are happening to players who just were at the Olympics and played on the clay instead of continuing the hard court season.

• Thanks 1

A male singles champion hasn't successfully defended their US Open title since Federer in 2008. In the women's tournament, you have to go back to Serena Williams in 2014. It's fair to say that it's established itself as the most unpredictable of the four Grand Slams.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

A male singles champion hasn't successfully defended their US Open title since Federer in 2008. In the women's tournament, you have to go back to Serena Williams in 2014. It's fair to say that it's established itself as the most unpredictable of the four Grand Slams.

I had forgotten the stat about the last successful defense - and that was at the end of his fivepeat (and also the last one he won).It's also where most of the recent 1-time only Grand Slam winners have come from - Del Potro, Cilic, and Thiem (won't lump Medvedev in here because you have to think he's got a 2nd title somewhere in him).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

18 of the 32 seeded players in the mens are already out. I think Dan Evans could play Jack Draper in either the quarter or semi final.

Quarter finals they'd meet if they both progressed with a potential semi against Sinner for the winner. Fingers crossed they both keep winning could very well be Evans' last chance to do something at a major.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gunnar hendershow said:

I had forgotten the stat about the last successful defense - and that was at the end of his fivepeat (and also the last one he won).It's also where most of the recent 1-time only Grand Slam winners have come from - Del Potro, Cilic, and Thiem (won't lump Medvedev in here because you have to think he's got a 2nd title somewhere in him).

That's true for the women as well! 4 of the last 7 women's Champs have been first time winners. Although chaos could happen, I still expect a fresh Sabalenka to win the women's. It's hard to look past Swiatek in the top half, but I wouldn't look past Pegula knocking her out in the QF possibly. 

The potential QF between Sinner and Medvedev should be tasty, but the bottom half is so open. Ruud, Zverev, Rublev, even Dimitrov, Fritz, or possibly Tiafoe could get to the Final.