Tennis!

sahyder1

Novak had such an easy run to the Finals that I feared he'd be fresh enough to beat Alcaraz, but glad he got dominated instead!

The women's final was such a better match, and was gutted for Paolini. I absolutely love watching her play. Her season has been sensational and to think she made the Wimbledon Final this year after never winning a match here before is remarkable. Really hope she can keep this run going.

• Lineker changed the title to Tennis!
5 minutes ago, MJB said:

Didn't he just pull out of the singles?

Yes, thank you, my apologies! The ESPN Breaking News notification was incorrect, thankfully.

WOW! Murray and Evans saved FIVE consecutive match points in the 3rd set Super Breaker, and come back to win it 11-9. That was some clutch tennis. Daniel Evans especially really came out huge in that comeback. Andy Murray's career lives on!!

• Like 1

I'm putting it here as the Olympics thread is discussing the Algerian boxing topic.

I feel genuinely emotional seeing Andy Murray retire. He's my sporting hero really and someone I've followed the entire journey for. I stayed up into the early hours to see him win the US Open on a grainy stream, leaped out of my seat and cried when he won Wimbledon. The fact that injuries have just caught up with him is even sadder, it has robbed him of several years at the top and that hip problem came just as he had finally reached #1 status was playing better than anybody.

It's been a wonderful career, and he's done so much for British sport and for Scotland. I'm not sure I'll ever enjoy tennis again as much as I did when Andy Murray played at the highest level.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Jannik Sinner tested positive twice for a banned anabolic steroid in March and was stripped of prize money and points earned at a tournament in Indian Wells, California, but will not be suspended because an independent tribunal said it was not intentional.

The International Tennis Integrity Agency announced the case on Tuesday.

Sinner is really lucky here. Feel like in the past accidents weren't ever factored in.

The story is that Sinner's physiotherapist cut his hand and used an over-the-counter spray to treat it. The spray contained trace amounts of a steroid, which was then transferred to Sinner when the physiotherapist gave him massages. According to Sinner's lawyers, the amount found in his sample was less than a billionth of a gram.

20 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

I'm really curious how anabolic steroids wind up being not intentional. Not doubting the story of it being an accident, but exactly how it happens.

Apparently his physiotherapist used a spray on his own hand for a cut, then gave Sinner a massage without gloves on so it transferred to Sinner.

So they say anyway.