Tennis!

sahyder1

Djokovic has a huge advantage as long as Fed & Murray remain in the 2 & 3 spots since he would only have to play the winner in the Final. Assuming we're not talking about the French and Nadal doesn't regain his form so quickly, the other guys have to beat each other in the Semis and then get Novak at the end. Ferrer is a paper # 4, and a much, much easier draw.

Djokovic has a huge advantage as long as Fed & Murray remain in the 2 & 3 spots since he would only have to play the winner in the Final. Assuming we're not talking about the French and Nadal doesn't regain his form so quickly, the other guys have to beat each other in the Semis and then get Novak at the end. Ferrer is a paper # 4, and a much, much easier draw.

I don't think the draw is done so that 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 happens at every major does it? I thought it was still random (to a point) and Djoker can draw #3 in a semi?

I may be wrong but I'm sure the only fixed positions at the start of the draw are #1 at the top and #2 at the bottom.

I didn't word it very well. As long as Ferrer is # 4 then whoever gets him always has the "easy" SF. Whoever is # 3 has the worst draw every time. If they draw Djokovic in the SF, they have to beat him and then someone else to win the title. If they draw Fed/Murray in the SF, they need to win that match first and then likely face Djokovic in the Final. Nadal at # 5 makes everyone's life miserable because they could theoretically draw him in the QF and then still need to beat two other guys in the top 4 to win a GS.

I have much more confidence that Djokovic can beat Murray and Federer back to back, than I have in either Murray or Federer beating the other two guys.

• 2 months later...

Ferrer will be worth keeping an eye on as the French Open approaches. He reached the semi-finals last year and clearly knows his way around a clay court, and I think he's improved significantly during the hard court season. I wouldn't put him down as favourite by any means, but I could certainly see him reaching his first Grand Slam final at Roland Garros.

• 1 month later...

I hope he's fit for Wimbledon. It really wouldn't be the same without a big British hope. I can't remember the last time that happened, because when Murray missed it through injury in 2007 he wasn't yet a big deal and Henman was still around though it was his last appearance at SW19.

• 2 weeks later...

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga reaches the RG semi final for the first time in his career, beating Roger Federer in straight sets 7-5 6-3 6-3

Was a great effort by him today, he dismantled Federer. Seldom have I seen R-Fed surrender so meekly. Can't wait to see Tsonga vs Ferrer now.

Worse news though was that both my favourite's exited in the women's draw today. Radwanska beaten by Errani in what was a really good technical contest and Kuznetsova overpowered by Serena Williams but not without giving her a big scare in that one. First time I've seen Serena struggle in months.