What is the first World Cup that you remember watching?

I'm reading a book called 'All Played Out', re-released as 'One Night in Turin'. Its about the '90 world cup and it is a cracking read. I highly recommend it for you young 'uns.

I know more about the 1998 and 2002 tournaments than 2006 and 2010 for some reason, despite having only been 8 in 02. 2002 was the first year I really became aware of football as a thing and the World Cup was the first tournament of any kind I followed. There's a photo of me in my back garden wearing a France 98 shirt but I don't remember anything about it or Euro 2000 personally. Most of my knowledge about the 1998 World Cup comes from an annual I read constantly at school in Year 4. Bizarrely, the only thing I can remember about the 2006 one is that England's training camp was in a place called Baden-Baden, I can't even remember who won it that year. For 2010 I can only remember two of England's group games (USA and Slovenia), because of memorable things happening on the day of each game, and the final itself.

2006 was not a classic.

Italy won it, Klose got golden boot with 5.

England beat Paraguay and Trinidad/Tobago before drawing with Sweden. We came top of the group, beat Ecuador in the second round and then lost on penalties to Portugal in the quarters.

That Cristiano Ronaldo wink.

Dat Joe Cole go, tho.

I'm reading a book called 'All Played Out', re-released as 'One Night in Turin'. Its about the '90 world cup and it is a cracking read. I highly recommend it for you young 'uns.

I know more about the 1998 and 2002 tournaments than 2006 and 2010 for some reason, despite having only been 8 in 02. 2002 was the first year I really became aware of football as a thing and the World Cup was the first tournament of any kind I followed. There's a photo of me in my back garden wearing a France 98 shirt but I don't remember anything about it or Euro 2000 personally. Most of my knowledge about the 1998 World Cup comes from an annual I read constantly at school in Year 4. Bizarrely, the only thing I can remember about the 2006 one is that England's training camp was in a place called Baden-Baden, I can't even remember who won it that year. For 2010 I can only remember two of England's group games (USA and Slovenia), because of memorable things happening on the day of each game, and the final itself.

2006 was not a classic.

England beat Paraguay and Trinidad/Tobago before drawing with Sweden. We came top of the group, beat Ecuador in the second round and then lost on penalties to Portugal in the quarters.

Dat Joe Cole go, tho.

ZIZOU.. BONNE ANNIVERSAIRE!

2002 completed Beckham's turnaround from villain to hero. After getting sent off in '98 he single-handedly got us through to the finals in the final qualifying game against Greece and then scored the penalty to beat Argentina. From then on he was a national hero.

2006 was not a classic.

Dat Joe Cole go, tho.

Oh yeah, Joe Cole's goal was stonking.

'94, I lived in Brazil at the time and just remember everyone going crazy when they won. Can't remember much else from that World Cup either than one of the players on one of the other teams having red hair and a long red beard, which at the time, I thought made him look scary. Was also in Brazil for the '02 cup, that one I remember more, especially the finals and the crazy ass start times. I think one of the games started at fucking 5am.

Not really a soccer fan, but I'll try to catch a game here or there, and it's always fun watching it if you got a lot of people around.

I vaguely remember a few parts of 1994 (more individual players like Letchkov and Stoichkov, Daniel Amokachi, Diana Ross) but 1998 is the one I actively followed the most. Although realistically the first actual tournament I followed was Euro 96.

• Like 1

I was aware of the 1994 one because my dad wanted to watch a match rather than read me a bedtime story. I'm still annoyed by that. But I never actually watched any of it.

I have vague recollections of the Scotland game against Brazil at 98. I'm pretty sure I watched that but I didn't even have any idea who else was in their group. I didn't really care about football then.

So I guess the first one I properly paid attention to was 2002. Although in 1999 I belatedly got the 98 World Cup game so it's still far more special to me.

I vaguely remember a few parts of 1994 (more individual players like Letchkov and Stoichkov, Daniel Amokachi, Diana Ross) but 1998 is the one I actively followed the most. Although realistically the first actual tournament I followed was Euro 96.

Not sure Diana Ross was a player

• Like 3

Up there with the greats like Baggio..

• Like 2

Up there with the greats like Baggio..

Well they both missed a penalty at a World Cup.

• Like 2

2002 completed Beckham's turnaround from villain to hero. After getting sent off in '98 he single-handedly got us through to the finals in the final qualifying game against Greece and then scored the penalty to beat Argentina. From then on he was a national hero.

Every time I see that goal, I have to watch it a million times in a row. One of my favourite ever goals.

1998. I was in Norway vacationing with my family, and I'm certain I watched some of the previous matches but the only one I have real memories of is the final, where I developed a fondness for the French national team that remains to this day. I missed almost all of 2002 because 2002 was basically the start of my low point in terms of caring about sports and the time zone was absolutely awful for watching in the States, but in 2006 and 2010 I watched as much as I possibly could both times and after '10 enjoying and following the sport actually stuck.

This time I think there's a reasonable chance I can watch every single match of the tournament, as long as I don't get scheduled for work during the only one that's showing during the actual evening in Seattle.

2010 It was my first :blush:

Will you be watching this one?

I will! :D

Enjoy it as much as you can, you'll only be in it for three games :shifty:

So will we

• Like 1