The Summer Transfer Window Thread 2014/15

Lineker

Arsene is flat out stupid if he doesn't sign Cesc .... we have first refusal and can get him cheap (relatively speaking). I don't care if we've got Ozil, the guy showed injury and acclimation issues. Ramsey and Wilshire are injury prone, and Cazorla is streaky and started to show the injury bug that Arsenal players get.

Holy shit, sign CESC.

I hate Chelsea, but man... they're probably they probably have the best behinds the scenes guys in the league. Like metalman said they've done such good business the past two windows, made two really big sales over the odds for players they don't even need (!), and have followed by signing probably the two biggest players that will move to the EPL this summer, crazy. At the same time they've also made other signings like Zouma, and are in the hunt for even more. Just smart business plays, and clearly great negotiators. As a Liverpool fan it makes me so jealous! We just don't make signings like Diego Costa or Cesc, unfortunately. Lambert, Lallana, Can - it's just not the same, but I guess there is still some way to go before we're in *that* league.

Edit: I've read reports they're now going for Shaqiri or Markovic as alternatives to Lallana, either or both would be top top buys, and better signings - probably even cheaper individually.

Also, apparently Spurs have offered 14m pounds including Capoue, as well as Soldado on-loan, to Sevilla for Moreno... wtf? Do spurs even need a LB that badly?

Spurs are arguably in need of a LB more than we are. Can't see Seville accepting that offer though.

Lambert, Lallana, Can - it's just not the same, but I guess there is still some way to go before we're in *that* league.

Fabregas and Costa are different types of signings. Chelsea are looking to add players directly to the starting XI. With Can and Lambert Liverpool are looking to add options to a shallow squad (Lallana is probably a starting XI option but he's not been signed).

Can is young, talented and can give depth in a position where Liverpool are lacking it (and joining a team with a coach who has proven he can get the best out of young players given time).

Lambert is experienced and has a good goal scoring record in the league plus he won't care that he's playing second fiddle to the best strike partnership in the Premier League. Liverpool don't lack goals but they lack strikers who can score them (who aren't named Sturridge or Suarez) adding a player who has hit double figures in the last two seasons in the league as an option off the bench isn't really a bad thing.

That's about the only role he could play at Arsenal, but then you're wasting his ability. It just annoys me seeing people shitting on Wenger for not signing him when, in reality, it's a sensible move. Just because he's a world-class talent doesn't mean he can fit into any system, and that's more evident with Cesc than most anybody.

Also, apparently Spurs have offered 14m pounds including Capoue, as well as Soldado on-loan, to Sevilla for Moreno... wtf? Do spurs even need a LB that badly?

We DO need a LB badly, probably the position we need to sign the most.

However I don't like the idea of losing Capoue and also Soldado on loan for one.

Cesc is a fantastic player but one who plays in a position where Arsenal are overloaded with quality players as it is, that is why most Arsenal fans are not too fussed about him coming back barring the emotion factor.

If Arsenal weren't the Injury Bug's favorite snack ... I'd have zero issue with not taking him back. However, Arsenal is one of the worst hit teams every year in terms of injuries. Quality like this, at a price they'd be paying, and at a position you've had cut down each of the past 5/6 seasons ?

.... and oh by the way keeping him out of a squad of a direct rival ...

If the club really does want to actually challenge for the title and CL, yeah this is a signing you make even if it does give you a small headache at one position.

It's not as if he isn't versatile, he could play in central midfield or further forward. Cazorla and Ozil are the only players you'd even consider ahead of him, and they don't play every game.

So, you're suggesting you should sign Fabregas and either he doesn't adapt or you change your entire system around him, just to keep him off Chelsea's books?

No ... keeping him off of a rivals books is just one reason.

Cesc has the ability to play more than just a CM/CAM .... he and Cazorla have very similar as they can both go out wide or play off the striker if they have too.

Ideally there'd be a fluid midfield allowing any one of Ramsey/Cesc/Cazorla to move a bit openly between CM/CAM and sliding in under the striker while Ozil and Wilshere hold the top/bottom of the midfield box (with a switching off between Ramsey and Wilshere even). That leaves you with Walcott or Podolski to run either side of the field (whichever is on) and gives you many more options to vary your attack both pre match and in match.

There is zero need to change the system, at all. He fits into more than one spot in it.

If Arsenal weren't the Injury Bug's favorite snack ... I'd have zero issue with not taking him back. However, Arsenal is one of the worst hit teams every year in terms of injuries. Quality like this, at a price they'd be paying, and at a position you've had cut down each of the past 5/6 seasons ?

.... and oh by the way keeping him out of a squad of a direct rival ...

If the club really does want to actually challenge for the title and CL, yeah this is a signing you make even if it does give you a small headache at one position.

Hey you know how you avoid being hit by the 'Injury Bug'? Don't buy sicknotes.

You, know like noted never injured at all plays all the games players like Cesc Fabregas...

:shifty: