The Summer Transfer Window Thread 2014/15

Lineker

I honestly don't get why United would want Di Maria. He is absolutely an elite player, but where does he go in the formation? Luke Shaw is the left wing back when fit, and Mata the #10 behind Rooney and RVP. I'm not saying either one of those two are better than di Maria - they're not - but I just don't see why United would splash 50+ million on a player who would compete for a spot with two men - signed for around 30million each - who joined within the past year.

But I'm American, so lol soccerball

The formation will likely change once van Gaal adds the players he wants. He's already said 3-5-2 is being played because he hasn't got the players he wants for the system he'd prefer to play.

That doesn't even make sense. The only formation he doesn't have the players for is 3-5-2.

• Like 2

£64m, you say? That would take United's net summer spending to about £137m (other figures taken from Transfermarkt). Even Chelsea haven't had that big a net (annual) spend since 2004/05.

I'd love Di Maria to have a great season, he's a great player, and I find it mad how every year he's always the one seemingly shown no respect by Real Madrid who basically always seem to be interested in selling him. Apparently being the best player on the pitch in even the Champions League final still wasn't enough to convince them.

£64m, you say? That would take United's net summer spending to about £137m (other figures taken from Transfermarkt). Even Chelsea haven't had that big a net (annual) spend since 2004/05.

Pretty sure this comes down to your favorite "64m euros was quoted, LET'S SAY POUNDS)