The Chivas USA Farewell Tour Thread (2014 MLS Thread)

GoGo Yubari

Yeah. I have zero enthusiasm for the Miami franchise.

Apparently there's already a supporters group for the nonexistent Miami MLS team called Southern Legion.

From what I gather, they don't even attend the games of the team Miami does have.

Which is more evidence as to why Orlando SC will succeed as an MLS franchise but Miami Fusion 2.0 will not.

Edited by OctoberRavenO

Yeah. I have zero enthusiasm for the Miami franchise.

Apparently there's already a supporters group for the nonexistent Miami MLS team called Southern Legion.

From what I gather, they don't even attend the games of the team Miami does have.

Which is more evidence as to why Orlando SC will succeed as an MLS franchise but Miami Fusion 2.0 will not.

Eh, that's kind of a false conclusion. It's very hard to equate minor league attendance to anything other than what it is. Americans simply have the distinction of "major" and "minor" league here. If it isn't major league, most people don't give a shit. I mean hell, here in San Antonio we have quite the "waiting list" for the Crocketteers ... the only thing keeping people from joining and supporting is because the club isn't MLS yet. They're all for a "major" league franchise, but aren't interested in a "minor" league one. That's just how sports are viewed here. Yes, you can get an indicator ... but simply looking at the butts in the seats really doesn't tell you anything.

However, Miami being a shit sports town does. I honestly think that Beckham being behind it is the only thing that gives it a chance.

Perfectly fine with that decision unless Joe Corona up and joins MLS a week from now or something.

This.

It's not taking Pappa that's the issue. It's that they're making the move this early and there's PLENTY of talk about guys coming back ... especially after the World Cup. I'd have either ransomed the shit out of the top spot (which Chicago is claiming they've done) ... or waited at least until the end of the European seasons.

So with Beckham all set to announce his new Miami franchise in the next hour or so, which cities are likely to get a team next? I'm guessing maybe somewhere like Atlanta or Minnesota?

How many do they eventually want in the league, anyway?

Atlanta and Minnesota are tossed around all the time because of the NFL ties with what are the leading ownership groups (and MLS friendly new stadium designs in both cities). Realistically though, they aren't the front runners.

Here in San Antonio we just had a sit down with Don Garber and while publicly we don't seem to be as high on the totem pole, we're actually pretty far into the process and have quite a few things that few, if any, other possible locations have.

People continue to toss out Detroit and San Diego as well simply due to market size (although San Diego at least has a club at some level and is in a pretty good area for soccer).

Honestly I'd say San Antonio, Atlanta, Minnesota are the most realistic choices at this point with the information available.

That said, anything can happen virtually overnight (Orlando).

==========================================

Montreal is trying to sign Santiago Gonzalez (21 yrd old striker in Uruguay) ... very promising talent.

Daigo Kobayashi is back with Vancouver on trial. I hope he gets a fair shake. When he played in the 10 spot he was fantastic.

SWP is talking up a move to the MLS.

Isn't Bradley Wright-Phillips at New York? It would be cool to see the two of them in the same team again.

Yes, he is.

And this bit:

Fernandez was just at Malaga and played pretty well. That's a good signing.