January 2014 Transfer Window

stokeriño

If Manchester United intend to buy Newcastle's best player as a guaranteed starter, less than a week after breaking their transfer record on a player originally on similar wages with years left on their contract, then they should be looking for at least a Fellaini priced offer.

Saying "Newcastle should be glad for the money" doesn't work if the team doesn't need to sell and can afford to get the best deal for the player, especially when the player's value could skyrocket after a good World Cup showing.

It's a strangely cheerful position to be in really, we're stable financially so don't have to sell, plus as you say we can get a decent fee in summer if no one ups that 'derisory' offer. At the same time Cabaye isn't going to force a move because we won't sell for under his value and he needs to be playing to guarantee his way to the World Cup.

Basically he's either here til the summer or we're holding out for a ludicrous Carroll-esque fee on deadline day, which from Ashleys point of view we could do without getting a short term replacement as we've pretty much got the points to finish midtable already.

Ah, modern football.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25868272

Salah's move to Chelsea has officially gone through. Fee in the region of £11m.

This of course serves to make Liverpool fans' comments of "We'd have him for £12m but £16m is too much" a little bit funny. :shifty:

Ian-Ayre.jpg

The papers mostly seem to be of the opinion that, whether it's a deal done in the summer or one done in January where he's loaned back for the rest of the season, Luke Shaw will in some way or other be coming to Chelsea.

I'm dubious as to the value people are placing on Shaw. This is an 18 year old who has only just made exactly 50 senior team appearances in his career (and of course with no European or international experience) being placed into a price bracket beaten by only two other full-backs in history (Dani Alves and Fabio Coentrao). Yes he has some talent, but I get a great sense that any further doubts just get whitewashed in the face of "OOH HE'S ENGLISH" and/or, in some cases, "OOH HE'S A LIFELONG CHELSEA FAN".

He may be as good as people say, but it's just a big risk. I'm therefore not especially bothered if he does come to Chelsea or goes elsewhere, but we'll just have to see.

The papers mostly seem to be of the opinion that, whether it's a deal done in the summer or one done in January where he's loaned back for the rest of the season, Luke Shaw will in some way or other be coming to Chelsea.

I'm dubious as to the value people are placing on Shaw. This is an 18 year old who has only just made exactly 50 senior team appearances in his career (and of course with no European or international experience) being placed into a price bracket beaten by only two other full-backs in history (Dani Alves and Fabio Coentrao). Yes he has some talent, but I get a great sense that any further doubts just get whitewashed in the face of "OOH HE'S ENGLISH" and/or, in some cases, "OOH HE'S A LIFELONG CHELSEA FAN".

He may be as good as people say, but it's just a big risk. I'm therefore not especially bothered if he does come to Chelsea or goes elsewhere, but we'll just have to see.

I think you kind of got it here, for me. But whereas you use it as a negative point, I'd use it a positive. He's 18, not only holding down a Premier League place, but thriving in it. It's very unusual to see defenders playing this young. It's not like he's a player you can have coast up the top of the pitch. I think the fact he's an 18 year old fall back, with already 50 appearances to his name, is a very good sign. Oh, and he's English. Obviously.

Bet in three years time no one will know who Luke Shaw is.

People are getting cause and effect mixed up.

The general perception is Luke Shaw is 18 and played 50 games so he must be good.

Maybe in reality the case is Southampton don't have anyone better than Luke Shaw so he has played 50 games.

Bet in three years time no one will know who Luke Shaw is.

People are getting cause and effect mixed up.

The general perception is Luke Shaw is 18 and played 50 games so he must be good.

Maybe in reality the case is Southampton don't have anyone better than Luke Shaw so he has played 50 games.

I know I suggested that, but the reason he's getting plaudits isn't because he's simply playing games for Southampton. It's that he's playing really well. And if he's playing this well at 18, you'd assume he'll only get better and better.