January 2014 Transfer Window

stokeriño

There were mumblings the other day about Villa possibly being interested in loaning Gael Kakuta from us. However, since they are obviously in the same league and already have one Chelsea player (Bertrand) on loan, the only way this would be allowed would be if Kakuta's loan had an 'option to buy' provision. Although I don't see why the agreed price couldn't be something suitably astronomical to make such a purchase impossible (if we wanted to keep him, that is. Not sure anyone cares about Kakuta anymore), so to me that little clause seemed rather silly.

That's the thing with loans. There's always more small print...

Do you think we could get Bertrand permanently? Or is that unrealistic?

Lord knows. Our future left-back situation is generally hazy without a real idea of how long Cole with (meaningfully) carry on, whether current loaned LBs like Van Aanholt will ever be involved in our first team, whether we end up buying Luke Shaw (if we're actually interested at all), and so forth. It's a position we're probably going to have to sort out come the summer.

I imagine we would sell Bertrand if he wanted to go. Not sure how much for.

Juan Mata signs for United

Manchester United is delighted to announce that Juan Mata has completed his transfer for a club-record fee of £37.1 million.

Mata, 25, has 32 caps for the Spanish national team and has played 135 times for Chelsea, scoring 32 goals since signing from Valencia in 2011.

Juan Mata said: "I am thrilled to be joining United. I have enjoyed some very happy years at Chelsea but the time has come for a new challenge. United is the perfect place for me and I am excited at the chance I have to be part of the next phase in the club's history.

"Chelsea is a top club and I have many friends there but you cannot turn down the chance to join Manchester United. I look forward to helping the manager and the team be successful in the coming years."

David Moyes said: "Juan is one of the finest playmakers in the game today and it's a real pleasure to have secured his signature. He's been instrumental in Chelsea's recent success, with a notable 28 assists and 32 goals in his last two Premier League seasons.

"I have been impressed with the excitement he has shown to be part of the new Manchester United. I know our fans have admired Juan for some time now – he has always played well against us – and I know they will be delighted to see him in the red of United, starting on Tuesday."

We move on.

(On a side-note, relating to both Moyes' and Mata's tops: I can't discern whether I find every single piece of Manchester United apparel I ever see to be really fucking ugly because of decades of anti-United conditioning...or because they actually are all really fucking ugly.)

The tops ARE ugly and the home shirt this season is particularly terrible. For some reason it looks even worse when they're losing.

That's why you've noticed it more. :pervert: