January 2014 Transfer Window

stokeriño

Neil Ashton of the Daily Mail posts big article about how Juan Mata has missed training today and is therefore on his way out.

Two hours later, Chelsea TV's daily 'Blues News' does its usual update on the day's training, stating that all players took part with the exception of Torres and Van Ginkel (both injured) and, naturally, has footage in which many players, including Mata, appear.

Try harder, Neil.

Yeah, about Mata, I wouldn't sell him to Man Utd. He might not be playing so much but Chelsea will need him at some point. It would also be unwise to furnish a direct rival with such a great player. Man Utd might be off the pace this season but there's no reason to assume that will be perpetuated.

Chelsea have had a good window. They've strengthened their weakest position and sold De Bruyne for considerably more than his career thus far would suggest he is worth. If I were them I'd just stick with what I've got for the rest of the season.

With regard to the "selling him to United as opposed to abroad" question, that I'm not as concerned about as some. There will always be other players out there and you can't keep every biggish club in your league away from them. With the exception of a very small handful of 'ultra players' (e.g. Ronaldo) that are virtually irreplaceable... You know, like Arsenal didn't get Mata or Hazard. Eventually they got Cazorla and Ozil instead. Que sera. And I hardly think even a full season of misery for United here would truly weaken their buying power come the summer (no matter how much fun it is to mock them), so those kind of concerns seem to be a bit like tinkering around the edges of the core issue.

The matter of weakening our squad in this window for the following five months is my main concern. Feasibly Chelsea could come out tomorrow and say SURPRISE WE'VE GOT SO-AND-SO to negate that (Lord knows they've done it before), but I don't really know who such a surprise could even be, so on this incomplete knowledge I have to remain against the idea of a January sale.

Apparently Mata was at the Chelsea training ground, but didn't train.

Hah...a step down from him being "missing".

So we've had fees of £40m, £37m, £35m and £32m floating about in the last 48 hours. Anyone want to stick their neck out on another figure?