Games that stand the test of time

Liam

Basically, this stems from a few youtube videos I was watching, covering games on the NES and Mega Drive.

What games from these eras (so, covering NES/SNES and Master System/Mega Drive primarily, but whatever people want to post about) do you still think hold up? Which games are still worth revisiting, or are games that you yourself check out from time to time?

Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past:

Nintendo just released a sequel to this game that apart from having polygon graphics and some new mechanics is very similar to the original. They already remade it once for the GBA and they have a whole series of handheld games that are based of the mechanics of this game that people love and play to this day. Just sarch Youtube for Let's Play. I think that is prove enough

Edited by TheLastInLine

I actually watched a video of Gods on SNES a few months back and it felt so alien as it didn't have the same sound effects or music as the version I had on Acorn. Yeah, that's some niche retroness for you. Felt so alien, not sure how I'd get on with playing any other version. Think SWIV might have been the same.

Oh wow, just looking at the SNES video and something I'd seemingly forgotten since I'd watched it, it looks like the characters been on about 8 cans of Red Bull and he's whizzing all over the place. That is to say running fast, not pissing.

Seems a bit silly to limit this stuff to SNES and NES, as by and large, that's the generation of graphics where they perfected a style before they could move on. So as long as the gameplay was smooth, they'll all hold up. A more interesting conversation to me would be stuff from the PS1 and N64 era, where we'd just started mess around with 3D and in retrospect, both gameplay and graphics took a hit for it in a lot of titles. For every Final Fantasy 7, there's a Tomb Raider game where early PS1 textures left everything looking like garbage... whilst you were already struggling to see what the fuck you were doing with the first gen camera controls and extremely precise hitboxes.

Ok - games that are still really worth the time, considering the release of the Xbox One and PS4 and the limited time we all have as we all get older and progress towards the grave - better? :P
Talk about any time - the initial post was more about narrowing it to games I could easily pick up.