2014 FIFA World Cup

Starvinho

I am hearbroken right now. Just a few seconds to hold on, and we switched off. How in the world Michael Bradley could give away possession like that is just astounding. He has been so incredibly poor when it matters most, most underwhelming player for the country while guys like Jones and Beckerman thrive.

Honestly, I'm Portuguese and I'm rooting against Portugal. I loathe almost every player in this team (exceptions: Coentrão, André Almeida, Ruben Amorim, Ronaldo to an extent) and not since 1998 have I supported the national team. They are a bunch of mediocre-to-average players, with few exceptions, getting by on Ronaldo's coattails, and if it was up to me they wouldn't even be on this World Cup. That said, FUCK'S SAKE, USA!

Tiebreakers are goal difference, then goals earned, then head-to-head right?

Tiebreakers are goal difference, then goals earned, then head-to-head right?

Basically:

It means the U.S. (four points, plus-one goal difference) will clinch a berth in the round of 16 with a win or a tie against Germany (four points) on Thursday in Recife. A U.S. loss, however, would open up the door for Ghana (one point, minus-one goal difference) to advance instead if the Black Stars can beat Portugal and make up the two-goal difference with the United States. Portugal (one point, minus-four goal difference) can still advance, but it would need a U.S. loss and a victory over Ghana that would make up the five-goal difference it has with the Americans. Long story short: There’s a lot to play for on Thursday.

So essentially, if Ghana wins by one, and we lose by one, they'd need to have scored two more goals than we did.

I've been joking about the scenario where USA and Germany need a specific result to both advance since the groups were announced. Gary Lineker is a joke stealer!

That said great match from USA, definitely the better team on the pitch. Not a lot from Europe has looked very inspiring all tournament long and it shows how much the sport has grown across the entire world. Not liking the matchup with Germany given the fact we just played in Manaus and have one day less of rest, as does Portugal against Ghana. Portugal are toast, they certainly won't advance, and I'd love them to nick a draw or a 1-0 win against Ghana. Germany should beat the US but a low-scoring result would be expectation.

Bradley really flubbed it on that goal, not sure if he froze up due to humidity cramps or what but that cost the US a win.

Me, I'm hoping Portugal and Ghana just plain draw. Seems to be our best bet IMO.

I still haven't left my chair since the end of the game. I went into this WC thinking it'd be a dream to survive the group and always figured they'd get bounced in the round of 16. This WC has been so crazy though that they have me thinking they could stick around even longer if they get out of the group.

My brain tells me they still have a more than fair chance of advancing, but my gut is telling me to expect the worst. Probably is the Mets fan in me. Different sport and all but the end of today's game was incredibly Mets-like. Now you lot all know the plight I deal with every day during the baseball season. :crying:

• Admin

Portugal are bad but I can't see Ghana beating them by two clear goals.

Lampard is to start and captain us against Costa Rica. Shaw is also set to start in place of Baines. Oxlade-chamberlain is to miss out again through his knee injury.

Looks like I missed a cracker last night, going by the highlights. :(

Glad the 11pm starts have finished now. Can watch every game from now on, barring the group deciders this week when I have to choose between them, obviously.