2014 FIFA World Cup

Starvinho

• Admin

Yaya and Kolo Toure's brother has died, it has been announced. No word yet as to whether they will remain as part of the Ivory Coast squad for the remainder of the tournament.

Elsewhere, the first manager has gone. Carlos Queiroz has announced that he will be leaving Iran after the tournament, but wants to become the first manager to manage four different nations in a World Cup come what 2018.

Four years ago we rubbed our hands at Algeria, Slovenia and the US and scraped through that group in second, winning one match and scoring only two goals in the process.

• Like 3

Welbeck should be shipped off from United this season and shouldn't appear in an England shirt again, I've always wondered how he's been getting in the team ahead of Chicharito.

Because Hernandez can only play in the centre. Welbeck can play either side and so offers more options that wouldn't use up a substitution. He's a more useful player than Hernandez is.

Of course had Hernandez been selected in any kind of sustained fashion, under either Fergie or Moyes, things would be different. He doesn't look like he gives a shit now, but he certainly used to.

I like that other nations are getting stronger. Previous 32 team World Cups used to be full of minnows just making up the numbers, but now - with a few exceptions - there's around three or four really good teams in each group.

From a personal point of view, this makes a lot harder for Scotland to qualify for them. Scotland aren't really any worse than they were, but now there's so much more competition. But i don't really mind because it makes it a lot more exciting.

• Like 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27930311

Uruguay match-winner Luis Suarez says his country's 2-1 World Cup win over England brought him retribution against his critics in England.

The Liverpool striker, 27, scored in both halves to condemn England to their second successive loss in Group D and leave them close to a World Cup exit.

"Before the game, too many people in England laughed about my attitude over the last few years," he said.

"This is a very good time for me. I want to see what they think now."

No, Luis, I still think you're a racist scumbag who shouldn't be playing anywhere.

I don't think he understands the fact that everyone thinks he's ruddy good at football, but most think he's a cunt, and continuing to be ruddy good at the former doesn't change the latter.

• Like 5

I fully agree with those who have been saying that most (all?) of the England team were poor - not just Rooney as seems to be forever the focus, presumably because he's judged on higher standards whereas everyone else is afforded some kind of "oh well he looked as though he tried maybe" pass.

The fact is that the England team Isn't Very Good. Full-stop.

As an arbitrary example, based on their most recently fielded line-ups, how many of the players for the Group D teams will be have played two consecutive seasons of Champions League football in 13/14 and 14/15?

Italy: 6 of 11
Uruguay: 4 of 11
England: 2 of 11
Costa Rica: 2 of 11

A stupid statistic, yes, but the main point is that a team packed full of Liverpool/Everton players being worse than teams packed full of Juventus/PSG players (Italy) or Atletico Madrid-plus-Liverpool's-best-player (Uruguay) should be a surprise to no one.

• Like 1

Yeah, but presumably our team at the last World Cup was chock full of Champions League players due to Man Utd being in it, and that was dogshit. It is a stupid statistic really hinged entirely on Man Utd being crap and Liverpool being good last season.

ENGLAND captain Steven Gerrard last night walked into the Amazon jungle on his own.

The midfielder, whose errors over the last few months have cost Liverpool the title and England the World Cup, disappeared into the darkness of the rainforest

without a backwards look.

Teammate Daniel Sturridge said: “Stevie’s been talking a lot about the South American tradition of the Jaguar King, in which the previous leader is sacrificed at the end of his period of rule.

“He’s also saying that perhaps he would concede fewer tackles if he was entwined in snakes.”

Gerrard is expected to return before Tuesday’s game against Costa Rica, completely naked and painted in the garish colours of the green-winged macaw.

During his absence he will be replaced by his consort Alex Curran, who has already attracted worshippers because of her eternally golden skin.

• Like 1