2014 FIFA World Cup

Starvinho

We lost because we were absolutely awful. But fuck these refs in general, they're far too scared to send anyone off, that guy should've had a second yellow for a hand across the throat. Either way, don't understand why Sterling wasn't played down the middle after he had such a cracking game, and I'm confused as to what Welbeck offered in any way shape or form.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for Roy Hodgson. I like him. He seems like a nice man.

He looks like the kind of nice old man who has always got a bag of wethers originals in his pocket.

They said that about Jimmy Saville.

Greece won Euro 2004 with ultra defensive tactics and have been playing the same way ever since.

Their record in qualifying was P10 W8 D1 L1 F12 A4, so they won eight games by only scoring twelve goals, in comparison, group winners Bosnia scored thirty.

The four goals they conceded were a penalty against Latvia and three against Bosnia (a rebound from a penalty and two free kicks).

A team that grinds out two 1-0 wins over Liechtenstein does not deserve to go to a World Cup.

We lost because we were absolutely awful. But fuck these refs in general, they're far too scared to send anyone off, that guy should've had a second yellow for a hand across the throat. Either way, don't understand why Sterling wasn't played down the middle after he had such a cracking game, and I'm confused as to what Welbeck offered in any way shape or form.

The answers are

1. Rooney because Man Utd.

2. because Man Utd.

Hopefully, after the next tournament, the joke will be "because Liverpool" - it is full of them now, after all.

It's not like Jones, Smalling, Carrick and Cleverley have joined Welbeck and Rooney in the starting XI.

But I guess that's the way it goes. Win/play well, and it's the Liverpool influence. Lose, and it's that shrek looking mother fucker Rooney, and Danny Welbeck.

I'm far from being Welbeck's biggest fan, but he did about as much as Sturridge did last night. It seemed they were having their own private diving contest.

• Admin

Hopefully, after the next tournament, the joke will be "because Liverpool" - it is full of them now, after all.

It's not like Jones, Smalling, Carrick and Cleverley have joined Welbeck and Rooney in the starting XI.

But I guess that's the way it goes. Win/play well, and it's the Liverpool influence. Lose, and it's that shrek looking mother fucker Rooney, and Danny Welbeck.

I'm far from being Welbeck's biggest fan, but he did about as much as Sturridge did last night. It seemed they were having their own private diving contest.

So much stupid I don't know where to begin.

Hart, Johnson, Baines, Gerrard, Sterling (just last night, but he was out of position, an excuse not good enough for Rooney), Welbeck, Sturridge - which of those had particularly great games last night? Some of them didn't play too well against Italy either.

If the general opinion is that they were all so fantastic, and better than Rooney was, then fair enough. I just don't think they were.

And I'm honestly not even defending him "because Man Utd" - he's getting a rough deal here.

Edit: As for expecting Rooney to be better because he earns more, and because of his reputation, is kind of the point I'm trying to make.

I'm not gonna do a Hodgson and say he's had two very good games, just that he hasn't been the only one under-performing.

• Like 1

He is getting a rough deal, he scored last night, he set up Studge to score on Saturday.

Sturridge was shit yesterday, Sterling was at least trying to do something.

I'll still think England will qualify.

• Like 1

The problem is he's a senior player who's still in his prime and he's playing like shit. He should be a driving force in the team, not just there to make the numbers up.

It's not even the lack of goals, it's just the general poor play. The sloppy passing, the miss hit crosses, it hasn't been good.

It's different with Sturridge because we don't really have anyone in that position to replace him. Welbeck and Rooney can't lead a line, and it'd be quite a gamble to let Lambert start.

Thing with Welbeck is that we have players who can replace him out wide. Why Welbeck is starting over Lallana is absolutely beyond me.

Rooney has scored a goal and got an assist, but he hasn't been great otherwise. Last night he did well, but I think Sterling would've done better. Sturridge didn't play well, but he's clearly our best option up front going by the season he's had. I don't feel like that with Rooney or Welbeck.

I think he's very effective against someone like Italy, who we're trying to contain and then hit on the counter attack. But against teams where we're favourites, he looks absolutely lost. And yeah, Gerrard was horrific last night. He wasn't good against Italy, either.

My entire point is basically that.

I know "because Man Utd" and "manutdshirt.jpg" has become a running joke here, but it isn't just our Danny boy and Rooney under-performing!

Rooney is a senior player, and will likely be the captain soon. Should he be performing better? Absolutely. But there's plenty in that squad who should be facing the same criticism.

I know "because Man Utd" and "manutdshirt.jpg" has become a running joke here, but it isn't just our Danny boy and Rooney under-performing!

Rooney is a senior player, and will likely be the captain soon. Should he be performing better? Absolutely. But there's plenty in that squad who should be facing the same criticism.

Whoaw now, there's only one Danny boy and that's Daniel 20 goals a season Sturridge!

Work rate means dick if there's no end product. Welbeck is Championship level. I honestly have no clue what he brings to the table other than 'runs around aimlessly'.

He's not a striker, his finishing is woeful. His positioning and anticipation are non existent. He's got zero aerial ability.

He's not an inside forward. He can't dribble.

He's not a winger. He can't cross.

In his defence, that can apply to a lot of players though.

I didn't see 'your' Danny Boy running back into defense last night, definitely saw Sturridge there a few times.