NBA 2013-2014 Season Thread

HeyThereVelvet

I think Silver and the NBA got this right. I just hope the NBA has the legal right to force out Sterling and that this doesn't get bogged down in court.

Oh it will. It'll get bogged down in court for YEARS. If Sterling dies, his wife will take up the case because she'd stand to inherit the team I'm suppose

Don't be so sure. Again, Silver is acting within his rights. Commisoner's decision is as final and binding as one that you'd get through arbitration. Sterling might sue, but I really don't think you'll see an injunction filed to stop a sale of the team. NBA is a private organization with its own set of rules that members agreed to abide by, and Sterling is in violation of them. There's not much a judge is going to be able to do.

Also he might be a shameless prick, but I think he might be smart enough to realize a billion dollar payout is a better idea than continuing to have his name linked to racism in every media outlet for however long a lawsuit would take.

• Like 1

I think Silver and the NBA got this right. I just hope the NBA has the legal right to force out Sterling and that this doesn't get bogged down in court.

Oh it will. It'll get bogged down in court for YEARS. If Sterling dies, his wife will take up the case because she'd stand to inherit the team I'm suppose

Don't be so sure. Again, Silver is acting within his rights. Commisoner's decision is as final and binding as one that you'd get through arbitration. Sterling might sue, but I really don't think you'll see an injunction filed to stop a sale of the team. NBA is a private organization with its own set of rules that members agreed to abide by, and Sterling is in violation of them. There's not much a judge is going to be able to do.

Also he might be a shameless prick, but I think he might be smart enough to realize a billion dollar payout is a better idea than continuing to have his name linked to racism in every media outlet for however long a lawsuit would take.

Exactly. It's like if you bought a Subway franchise. It's yours (well, technically it's just an interest, like in the NBA) but if you put up a sign saying "No Blacks Allowed", Subway could step in and take that franchise away. Because when you join an association, in this example Subway but in Sterling's the NBA, you agree to a Constitution that governs you and your franchise. It's why a team owner can't just up and move a team or sell a team out of nowhere.

Except the NFL tried to take the Raiders from Al Davis and it was told it couldn't do it in court. I just hope the NBA's constitution DOES grant Silver and the other owners the power to do it.

It would be great if Magic's group ended up as owners.

It does, it's in writing. 3/4ths majority vote and you're gone, open and shut. Al Davis was back in the 70's when the NFL had far less legal ground to stand on because their rules for franchise ownership were still being fleshed out.

And yes, the Clippers are worth that much due to their broadcast rights. They play in a fantastic market with loads of potential, but they've been owned by a moron who didn't want to spend money to exploit that.

• Like 2

Word I heard a few weeks ago is that D'Antoni will probably go to Marshall. I'm glad he's stepping down,, he was never the right guy to coach the Lakers, but I feel bad, because I actually like the guy, and his system is entertaining?

Marshall already hired D'Antoni's brother

Word I heard a few weeks ago is that D'Antoni will probably go to Marshall. I'm glad he's stepping down,, he was never the right guy to coach the Lakers, but I feel bad, because I actually like the guy, and his system is entertaining?

Marshall already hired D'Antoni's brother

Oh, ok. I'm sure D'Antoni will find a job, though.

I haven't really been following sports lately. No cable/Internet at my house, and, instead of listening to sports talk radio, I've been listening to Neil Degrasse Tyson podcasts instead.

Again, Hibbert is trash. Mahinmi has been pretty good this game. Surprised Scola hasn't seen any action, though. On the other side of the spectrum, great stuff from OKC.

EDIT: David West is an amazing player. I really hope he can get on a championship team next season.E

EDIT #2: Hawks threw the game away at the end. Grizzlies look to be doing the same.

• Like 1