The Marvel Cinematic Universe TV Thread

Your Mom

Yeah that's not entirely uncommon. Voice acting is maybe a weirder one to do it with since a totally different sounding performance jumps out to people. Plenty of stage and screen actors do everything from reading every bit of source material & watching every previous iteration of a character to staying away from both entirely. I don't think there's a noticeable gap in quality of performance between any of those, just a matter of what works for each.

• 1 month later...

I'm... not looking forward to this. I was expecting some horror elements, but this feels like it's almost all horror, and that's not something I want to watch. I'm still getting over the Vision corpse jump scare from Wandavision.

Belatedly, I'm way more interested in the Agatha show after seeing that trailer. That's exactly the kind of leaps Marvel TV should be going for.

Loved it starting with her apparently having inserted herself into a Mare of Easttown/Sharp Objects/Insert Prestige Detective Limited Series Here riff too.

• 2 months later...

Agatha's first two episodes were a lot of fun to watch, and it has all the makings of being a very rare, very different beast in the MCU. If they can keep it up through the rest of the episodes, I think it may turn out to be the best show they've done under their own banner (to this point).

I'm really excited to see what lays ahead on the witches road.

6 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I certainly enjoyed them, but it baffles me how (or perhaps better, why) they managed to spread so little actual plot development over two episodes. 

I had been thinking about that, and I feel like it was probably done to establish tone before we get into anything overly important. We've met the main players, and we've been given the general direction of the story, but those first two episodes definitely felt like tone-setters.

I don't hate that. It can be risky, but I love that they're using the freedom that the format allows to not just dive in head first, and to give us something a little different.

Now, if the next episode feels the same in regards to lack of plot development, then I'm totally wrong... but I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that Episodes 1 and 2 were essentially like a prologue to a novel.

The Witch's Road song might be the most annoying piece of music I've heard used as a centrepiece for a piece of fiction in years. Fucking terrible stuff.

There's some good horror effects, but mostly so far I've thought the Agatha show is awful, and I don't really understand what (or who) it's for. There's definitely no sense of "if you liked Wandavision, you might like..." to it, but nor does it seem to fit anywhere else in the MCU, or have nearly enough going for it to stand alone. 

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

I love The Witch's Road song! Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but I really like it and the show overall so far

Same!  I thought The Witches Road would sound really good by like a power metal band or something.

As for the show itself?  Meh...I think its ok...Kathryn Hahn is totally carrying it but her and Joe Locke, who played 'The Teen' have some good chemistry together

On 20/09/2024 at 15:43, Chris2K said:

I certainly enjoyed them, but it baffles me how (or perhaps better, why) they managed to spread so little actual plot development over two episodes. 

I'm half convinced that most of the Marvel TV shows are initially conceived as "don't know whether to make this movie or tv show", or at very least without any concept of number of episodes. They all seem to have this pacing issue.

That shouldn't be the case here though given it's a spinoff from another TV show, so 🤷

Haven't started it yet, planning to binge when it gets close to the end (at which point the show and all linked characters will have been cancelled if recent experience is anything to go by).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Agatha Episode 6:

Spoiler

I don't think they could have done a better job introducing Billy Maximoff into the MCU, and Joe Locke is a great actor choice. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do about Tommy, but frankly the whole show has been so good that I'm looking forward to everything. Even them reminding me how much I hated what they did with Evan Peters in WandaVision couldn't damper my enthusiasm.

The problem is; given the lack of momentum behind a Young Avengers project, what is there for Billy and Tommy to do after this?

22 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Agatha Episode 6:

Hide contents

I don't think they could have done a better job introducing Billy Maximoff into the MCU, and Joe Locke is a great actor choice. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do about Tommy, but frankly the whole show has been so good that I'm looking forward to everything. Even them reminding me how much I hated what they did with Evan Peters in WandaVision couldn't damper my enthusiasm.

The problem is; given the lack of momentum behind a Young Avengers project, what is there for Billy and Tommy to do after this?

Spoiler

Well, I know if I'm them, I'm trying to get mom back. I fully expect that's where they go next, and it makes me happy to think about, because I love the Scarlet Witch character and I demand more of her.