(Spoilers) The thread where CALIFORNIA LOOOOVE~!

Plubby

The Flames first game is in the bag. Picked up the bitch point in a shootout loss, so not too bad.

Ramo looked good. The first goal came on a breakaway, and the two Ovechkin goals hit sticks and changed direction. The only complaint I had was that he was very weak moving side to side, and it cost us the shootout.

The team itself looked good, mostly. They played a hard work type of game and made their physical presence known. There were a few defensive lapses that ultimately gave up chances, but nothing more than last season with a more veteran group, so that's a positive.

With all of the hooplah about fighting right now, I have to wonder why the ref's aren't calling the instigator to help deter fights. Example: Bouma with a clean hit that happens to hurt Jack Hillen. Tom Wilson drops the gloves and forces him into a fight that he would not have been in otherwise. That, by the book, is instigating. You want to cut down on the amount of meaningless fights? Start calling the instigator and giving coaches a reason to punish guys for fighting, or a reason to keep goons off the ice.

Also, I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, but how would everyone feel about an additional two minute penalty for taking an opponent's feet out during a fight? Again, last night, when he'd had enough of it, Wilson grabbed behind the knee of Bouma and pulled, sending him to the ice. That's a dangerous play, and I could argue that it is even more dangerous than the fight that precedes it. Bouma's head could very easily have crashed into the ice because of that takedown from Wilson.

So, again, there are two ideas (one of which is supposed to be in play anyways) to help cut down on fighting, without eliminating fighting.

Detroit and Carolina had a hell of a game last night, great come from behind win by the Red Wings. But I was impressed with the Hurricanes, and Ward was looking really good last night.

Penguins play the Sabres tonight, won't be able to watch till I get home, here's hoping they play as well as they did on Thursday.

Damn, that was kind of a easy game for the Penguins, the only one doing anything for Buffalo was Enroth, the rest of the guys were playing horribly. It could have been a blowout loss for them if the Pens hadn't missed the net a few times, or gotten the post.

And yeah, in the Flyers game, Bernier looked awesome, it won't surprise me to see him become the starter, I didn't see last night's game, but he was great in the Flyers game. Speaking of them, 0-2 so far for the Flyers. :wub:

Makes no sense. I like Lavy a lot, he fit into Philly pretty well too, from a fan's standpoint, but if you're going to fire him this early, there's no point in waiting. Flyers owner Ed Snider got really snippy with the media in the press conference, too. He's the NHL's answer to Ed Snider.