The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

There would have been uproar if Fergie's choice hadn't been taken though. Plus who else could they have got that would be willing to try and fit those boots? It was always likely to be a poisoned chalice.

It's like laughing at Charlie Adam ever signing for Liverpool, at the time Moyes looked completely capable of stepping up to the role of Manchester United boss and it wasn't just Fergie who thought he'd be the best possible choice, for a good 3 years he was talked about being a successor to Fergie and was one of the only managers to not fuck up his reputation in the process.

They'd probably have still signed Fellaini too because at the time he was considered one of the best midfield acquisitions that Manchester United could get, if you look back to articles printed around the time that Moyes was announced as manager nobody was actually criticising him, most believed he was a sensible move and Fellaini was always talked about as a possible move that would complete Manchester United's midfield.

Ultimately, Sir Alex didn't give a bad recommendation, he's being unjustly criticised for not owning a time machine.

So I'm wrong? He's a really good manager?

This season suggests otherwise.

That's silly. I'm not saying it applies to Moyes, but very, very famous managers have had disappointing seasons with teams. Same with players. Diego Forlan didn't do too well at United, didn't stop him from being a top class player. I'm not sure that was the point I wanted to make, but something along those lines will do.

The majority made the assumption that Moyes' performance at Everton + Man Utd cash/players = much better performance. I don't think there was (or even could have been) anything amazingly concrete at the time that either supported that idea *OR* the idea that he would crash and burn, so any Captain Hindsight talk of "it was always clear..." is equal nonsense.

With lack of evidence to the contrary, people simply believed what they wanted to believe.

• Like 1

"Manchester United's troubled defence of their Premier League title is harming the English top flight's worldwide brand, says the competition's chief executive Richard Scudamore."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26782112

Hey Scudamore.

Fuck off.

Yours sincerely,

Everyone who isn't a United fan.

• Like 5