The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

proof in the pudding considering Rooney is the highest paid player in the league.

I'd say that's proof of an entirely different point...

Yeah I wouldn't use "but we're giving Wayne Rooney £300k a week!" as a positive argument for anything. If anything it just proves how desperate United are to cling onto any talent they have. Rooney would've been lucky to get 2/3 of that wage for another team.

Yes everybody was saying that United were an average side and then they went on to win a league title. But they were also all correct and that average team was masked by a world class manager and Man City being dreadful. That very same team doesn't have that luxury this season and they'll be lucky to finish 6th.

Can't remember what else was said but Liverpool are a force and always have been that can attract top players. They're United's biggest rival when it comes to legacy and brand. You know what's been stopping them this past half a decade? Champions League football. Something United won't have and Liverpool will next year. You know something else they'll have? The best striker in the world at the peak of his career, a competent manager and a some shiny new Champions League money to flash about.

But yeah, you've got David Moyes on a 6 year deal, dreams of Tony Kroos, an out-of-position Mata and a soon to be declining Rooney on £300k until he's 34!

On the bright side of things, we've lost our best player, 5 of the last 6 home games and the manager just nutted an opposing player but we're still only 5 points behind the biggest team in the world!

Here we go again! :w00t:

• Like 1

I know it's fun to bash United, and I know in terms of heritage and achievements they're similar, but globally, United are such a bigger brand. And Liverpool never attracted a player of Mata's calibre in their time at the club. I don't know how it's gonna pan out, but to completely write them off with comparisons to Liverpool is silly. Liverpool, for example, still haven't won The Premier League. With or without CL, United are a huge name in football, and that will count for something.

I just think people can speak in their "own opinion" all they like - but it comes down to the player at the end of the day. Mata signed knowing full well that chances are, we won't be in the Champions League next season. Suarez is still at Liverpool despite not being able to play in it since he's been there, and Vidic is leaving United to join a side that probably won't be in it either.

I know it's fun to bash United, and I know in terms of heritage and achievements they're similar, but globally, United are such a bigger brand. And Liverpool never attracted a player of Mata's calibre in their time at the club. I don't know how it's gonna pan out, but to completely write them off with comparisons to Liverpool is silly. Liverpool, for example, still haven't won The Premier League. With or without CL, United are a huge name in football, and that will count for something.

So were Liverpool when Souness took over. :shifty:

:lol:

Also people keep saying United are the biggest 'brand,' but that came about because of their success. Take that away, and the 'brand' collapses.

I meant since they have dropped out of Champions League. But, I'm struggling to think of anyone as big as Mata that Liverpool have signed in the past 20 years or so, anyway. I realise how good Suarez is now, but I mean at the point of buying.

I dunno, Mata was Chelsea's best player for two years in a row. A signing's who has had huge success in the Premier League, and was considered one of the best players in the Premier League in the last two years. Torres, maybe. Suarez, definitely not. Obviously now he seems like a brilliant signing, but I definitely meant at the time.

Torres was definitely in that category, he was the next big thing for a long time and had a lot of teams sniffing around. For LIverpool to nab him, spoke volumes. Mata had the reputation and proven quality but he was clearly unhappy and I don't think anybody else was willing to pay the price, so United was the only viable option in January. If PSG or the like would've paid the £37mil, I've no doubt Chelsea would've flogged him abroad.

Yeah, the first one that came to mind was Torres, who was an infinitely 'bigger' signing than Mata was. Also, United haven't dropped out of the Champions League yet, so Mata doesn't even count in your hypothetical scenario. Also also, we're really going back to the idea of doing it on a wet Tuesday in Stoke to validate players again?

Torres was definitely in that category, he was the next big thing for a long time and had a lot of teams sniffing around. For LIverpool to nab him, spoke volumes. Mata had the reputation and proven quality but he was clearly unhappy and I don't think anybody else was willing to pay the price, so United was the only viable option in January. If PSG or the like would've paid the £37mil, I've no doubt Chelsea would've flogged him abroad.

But that doesn't change that a world class player like Mata went to United. Obviously Chelsea would rather have sold him abroad, but if the Champions League meant that much to him, he could've waited six months for another team to have gone in for him, like they definitely would have.

But that doesn't change that a world class player like Mata went to United. Obviously Chelsea would rather have sold him abroad, but if the Champions League meant that much to him, he could've waited six months for another team to have gone in for him, like they definitely would have.

It's a World Cup year.

Yeah, the first one that came to mind was Torres, who was an infinitely 'bigger' signing than Mata was. Also, United haven't dropped out of the Champions League yet, so Mata doesn't even count in your hypothetical scenario. Also also, we're really going back to the idea of doing it on a wet Tuesday in Stoke to validate players again?

That's clearly not what I said, or meant. I think you guys are right on Torres in terms of when I said about signings in the last 20 years, but I'd still argue that Mata's a bigger signing than anyone Liverpool signed since they dropped out of the Champions League.

edit: But I don't know why I'm arguing, this is pretty silly

I think it's a matter of wait and see with United and attracting top players without the Champions League. United had plenty of time to turn it around and make the top 4 when Mata signed. I bet Mata as well as many others believed with the addition of him to that United side could've turned the season around.

Barring a miracle, Champions League football is gone now, so the next window will tell a lot about where United in terms of signing top talent, sans Champions League

Ah come on, don't seriously compare Juan Mata to Maxi Rodrguez, that's a step too far! :P