The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

And it's not exactly rocket science to suggest that Man United will fail to sign big names when they're out of the Champions League, Liverpool had exactly the same problem when they were squeezed out of the Champions League a few years ago, which limited them to big fish in small ponds signings and damaged goods like Suarez, Henderson and Charlie Adam, not good players from some of the best teams in the world.

The problem is, bar Liverpool there hasn't actually been a situation like the one at Manchester United in recent memory. Chelsea came close to not qualifying for the Champions League but then won it, and Spurs were never in Champions League long enough to establish themselves as a top four team. We don't know how damaging it could be for Manchester United, especially when they have to replace players leaving/retiring as well as getting the signings to bring them back into contention.

I realise you said damaged goods but mentioning Suarez and Adam in the same breath is bizarre. Suarez came in off the back of an amazing World Cup run where he made himself stand out as a huge prospect despite playing next to an awesome Forlan. Charlie Adam is a cunt.

• Like 3

And it's not exactly rocket science to suggest that Man United will fail to sign big names when they're out of the Champions League, Liverpool had exactly the same problem when they were squeezed out of the Champions League a few years ago, which limited them to big fish in small ponds signings and damaged goods like Suarez, Henderson and Charlie Adam, not good players from some of the best teams in the world.

The problem is, bar Liverpool there hasn't actually been a situation like the one at Manchester United in recent memory. Chelsea came close to not qualifying for the Champions League but then won it, and Spurs were never in Champions League long enough to establish themselves as a top four team. We don't know how damaging it could be for Manchester United, especially when they have to replace players leaving/retiring as well as getting the signings to bring them back into contention.

I don't know what you're talking about. Joe Cole is better than Lionel Messi.

I realise you said damaged goods but mentioning Suarez and Adam in the same breath is bizarre. Suarez came in off the back of an amazing World Cup run where he made himself stand out as a huge prospect despite playing next to an awesome Forlan. Charlie Adam is a cunt.

Suarez joined Liverpool whilst in the middle of serving a long ban for biting a guy. What more needs to be said?

Suarez joined Liverpool whilst in the middle of serving a long ban for biting a guy. What more needs to be said?

Granted, but he's still a world class player. It's not as if Liverpool could only attract players of Adams calibre.

Basically hindsight makes that statement seem laughable but that ignores the circumstances at the time when they were actually signed.

Charlie Adam was having a storming season at Blackpool and it really looked like he could make the step up to a bigger team and blossom, whereas Suarez was facing a ban for biting a guy during a point where the Dutch league wasn't exactly the pinnacle of competition.

I am really getting tired of people in this topic acting like they have never sunk their teeth into a person or racially abused someone. It must be nice riding your high horses inside glass houses.

• Like 2

I don't know what I enjoy more: Man Utd's downfall or the whining of the previously smug fans who have never known anything other than success and thought they were entitled to it forever.

• Like 6

I don't know what I enjoy more: Man Utd's downfall or the whining of the previously smug fans who have never known anything other than success and thought they were entitled to it forever.

There's no whining at all and I've never been smug. You'll never see me saying we're entitled to this or that or saying we're going to 100% bounce back and go back to how we were pre-Moyes. My point is that it's the usual suspects saying the same old shit because it's Manchester United. How many years has it been now where this is apparently just an average United side? Now it's onto a new one of how it was all carried by Ferguson and wasn't very good all along.

Manchester United are one of the biggest brands in football. We're one of the top clubs. And I don't mean that in a smug way what so ever. It amazes me that people are honestly crazy enough to think that we're suddenly going to go to complete shit because of a shit spell for seven months and won't be able to attract top players. Apparently Liverpool are suddenly a massive force who will attract more top players than us because they've had one good season which just so happens to coincide with us being mostly shit in the league for various reasons.

Name me the realistic reasons why we can't attract top talent. Right now the only one you can really bring up is no Champion's League football. We can pay big wages, proof in the pudding considering Rooney is the highest paid player in the league. We're now taking a different approch in who we go after and are willing to spend big sums, proof with the Mata signing. So what is this massive hold that a side like Arsenal or Liverpool have over us that means top players will choose them over us? Because they've got CL football for one single season and we haven't?

I'm not guaranteeing anything, but to me it seems like another case of let's just shit on Manchester United because that's what we love to do. "Can't sign top talent!". Sign Mata. "But you're playing him out of position and he was just a bench warmer at Chelsea!". "Average United side!". Win title. "But it was SAF carrying them all!". We could sign a few top players in the summer and there'd still be some excuse or swerve to shit on us. It's just a case of we'll wait and see I guess.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect
  • Like 1