The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

Hindsight is 20:20, especially as Anelka claims that he didn't know of the anti-Semitic connotations (I think a similar thing happened to another French footballer... I want to say Sagna for some reason?).

Ignorance is never a defence.

It is actually. One the most highly peddled untruths in law. It annoys me when people say that. :/

Legally it might be, but laws aren't always the most logical concepts. I meant just generally - common sense would suggest it to me.

But how can you do something wrong if you don't know it's wrong? "Common sense" isn't universal truth.

Hindsight is 20:20, especially as Anelka claims that he didn't know of the anti-Semitic connotations (I think a similar thing happened to another French footballer... I want to say Sagna for some reason?).

Ignorance is never a defence.

It is actually. One the most highly peddled untruths in law. It annoys me when people say that. :/

Legally it might be, but laws aren't always the most logical concepts. I meant just generally - common sense would suggest it to me.

But how can you do something wrong if you don't know it's wrong? "Common sense" isn't universal truth.

Pretty much. In order to be convicted of a crime you need to satisfy both the actus reus and the mens rea. Actus reus is simple enough. It's proof that you did a bad thing.

Mens rea is more complex and more open to interpretation. It's the state of mind, and to be convicted it generally has to be one of recklessness, carelessness or intention. Ignorance is generally thought of as a negligent state of mind, which isn't quite at the same level as recklessness.

I mean, it doesn't matter in this context anyway because it's pretty obvious Anelka knew what he was doing. But let's say you really love touching your forearm, and you've been doing it for years without realising it harms anyone. Then let's say it is banned. It is the duty of the lawmaker to fairly label the conduct and advertise that it isn't allowed any longer.

It's in that sort of context where ignorance is a perfectly reasonable defence. Applying such a defence is perfectly logical and within the realms of common sense.

• Like 2

Southampton match has just became even more important. Chance to move up to 2nd if we win. Allen in for Sterling which is a change I quite like, gives an extra man in midfield, Allen played well coming on last week and gives us an option off the bench when they are tired.