The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

I'm just glad it wasn't a draw, I don't think I could have put up with both Villa fans and Colly claiming that their team is literally the worst thing in the history of anything and any player left should be shot out of a cannon.

I never said that. :/

Bentalol. I'm starting to hope he gets a season ending injury. :(

I was wondering yesterday, whilst having half an eye on the Spurs game...

Why was Dawson getting so much shit for the goal you conceded, when it was Bentaleb who tamely gave up possession on half-way? Maybe Dawson could have done more, but just because they're defenders, doesn't mean they should always take the blame.

Why didn't Lloris get down quicker to save it?

...I'm not questioning him on that goal, but that's kinda my point. It's picky for being picky sake.

Because a number of our errors this year have revolved around Michael Dawson, and if it wasn't for Hugo Lloris, we'd be in a horrible position. Bentaleb was more at fault, I thought. A terrible place to lose the ball, but yeah, Dawson's not been good enough for a long time now. He should be 4th choice centre back, but he's been the only fit one all year.

Starting to look like Moyes can dream of those big European nights on Thursdays.

I know it's more games, but I'd take that over no European football at all!

Reading that, made me remember this other 'article' from that Metro site I was on the other day.

Why Liverpool fans should hope Manchester United do qualify for Europe next season Thursday 20 Feb 2014 12:35 pm

Nothing will make Liverpool fans smile more this summer than their side getting back into the Champions League, and their rivals Manchester United failing to qualify for Europe’s elite competition for the first time since 1995.

Liverpool know all too well the ramifications of not being among the big dogs – financially and in terms of power in the transfer market. See last summer for the perfect evidence of how not being in the Champions League affects your transfer plans; Liverpool went after Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Diego Costa and Willian but all three opted to go to or remain at teams in the competition.

The financial benefits arrive in so many forms; TV revenue, matchday revenue, increased leverage in terms of negotiating commercial deals, and player wages.

Man United’s current budget is based on finishing third in the Premier League and reaching the quarter-finals of all cup competitions, as reported by BBC's resident ace reporter, Lineker last month.

Not being in the Champions League and not in the top three will have a very significant impact on their finances. Liverpool, meanwhile, have learnt to cope without the riches of Champions League football and will see the additional money as a bonus, rather than a requirement.

However, a Manchester United side without any European involvement is far more dangerous to Liverpool, and other top four competitors, the following season.

A Man United side, hopefully still managed by David Moyes, with the distraction of the Europa League, will be far less likely to maintain a top four finish and thus get back into the Champions League quickly.

Therefore, Liverpool – and Tottenham, Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea – fans will be hoping that United actually achieve Europa League qualification this season.

The financial benefits arrive in so many forms; TV revenue, matchday revenue, increased leverage in terms of negotiating commercial deals, and player wages.

Man United’s current budget is based on finishing third in the Premier League and reaching the quarter-finals of all cup competitions, as reported by BBC Lineker last month.

o_O

• Like 1

Out of interest, to Liverpool fans, if you make the top 4, will the club give Rodgers the backing to buy a bunch of players? I think you probably will make top 4 this year, at this rate, but I think you could seriously struggle next year because you do not have a big enough squad to handle Europe.

Missing Coutinho out there....

Depth is our real problem, the first team is good its just the options coming off the bench. For example look at the bench Chelsea had available to them against Everton: Schurlle, Torres, Ramieres, Cole, Salah, Ba. Manchester City had Navas and Jovetic on the bench against Stoke, United have the likes of Hernandez and Kagawa available to come off the bench.

Whereas we have the likes of Aspas, Moses, Teixeira. We don't have great options when it comes to bringing people on and if we do get into Europe then we should be able to attract better quality players, have the extra money coming in from the Champions League and able to invest it into having a better squad.

I think Liverpool would probably need it too. Their midfield is a bit rubbish. Gerrard is declining and it's still too hard to tell if Henderson is going to keep up his good form long-term. Apart from those two they don't have anyone particularly great.

It's not a great midfield but it works really well as a unit. Henderson has been at this for a good year now, I'd say. A proper backup for Lucas would be required.

What Liverpool need is to sort out the defenders (Sahko is about the only defender that seems to be able to cope, get some strikers who are a level between an Iago Aspas and Sturridge and Suarez.) Probably a sub keeper who is better than Brad Jones.

I'd say having Champions League football will hurt this Liverpool team if a lot of depth isn't added.