The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

It still is in Buddhism

It means let's kill some jews and invade some countries to me. In the same way that that stupid gesture is anti-Semitic to the majority.

But is it anti-Semitic to the majority? I've not seen any polls or studies to indicate that it is... :s

Complete bullshit move by the FA. It's an anti-establishment signal, associated just as much with young leftists in France as the far right.

And the Roman salute so often gets mistaken for a Nazi salute.

The guy he is friends with, Dieudonné is a bit of an anti-semite. He is pally with Le Pen for Gods sake!

Yes, it is now it has been brought to people's attention in England as an anti-semitic gesture by the media.

That doesn't actually mean it is though. Certain media outlets tried to make out that Joey Barton did a Nazi salute after scoring when we smashed Villa after promotion, when he was quite clearly demonstrating that he could now shave his shit tache. Idiots.

I'd like to see an unbiased informed opinion on this whole thing to be honest.

Complete bullshit move by the FA. It's an anti-establishment signal, associated just as much with young leftists in France as the far right.

The guy he is friends with, Dieudonné is a bit of an anti-semite. He is pally with Le Pen for Gods sake!

Dieudonné is also linked with anti-racist left wingers and stood against the far right and anti-semitic National Front in 1997 and 2001. I'd say he's more anti-zionist than anti-Semitic, and in 2007 he ran for President under the 'anti-Zionist' party.

Quite frankly, the equation of anti-Zionist or anti-Israel with anti-Semitism is one of the greatest propaganda victory's of the modern era.

It doesn't matter what you think the gesture means. What matters is Anelka's intent. When you consider that he's friends with the anti-Semitic guy that popularised it, it's pretty reasonable to assume Anelka is doing for anti-Semitic reasons as well.

To suggest that he's doing it to show his support for far left causes - which, incidentally, are often no less racist than the far right - is a bit silly. I very much doubt that to be the case.

Anelka is either doing it because he thinks it looks cool or to demonstrate his support for anti-Semitic cause. Either way, he knows the guy who started using it. In all likelihood he is also going to be aware of the significance of the gesture. He should know better.

The FA better throw the book at him, and those of you trying to make excuses for him are being ridiculous.

• Like 4

Dieudonné is also linked with anti-racist left wingers and stood against the far right and anti-semitic National Front in 1997 and 2001. I'd say he's more anti-zionist than anti-Semitic, and in 2007 he ran for President under the 'anti-Zionist' party.

Quite frankly, the equation of anti-Zionist or anti-Israel with anti-Semitism is one of the greatest propaganda victory's of the modern era.

Regardless of how anti-Zionism is portrayed, it doesn't seem a little bit off to you that this guy stood for president for an anti-Zionist party? In France? It would take a pretty shifty type of person to campaign on that solitary issue in a domestic election.

• Like 2

And palling around with holocaust deniers? If he is just anti-zionist or anti-Israeli, he is treading a very fine line between it and anti-semitism.

It all stems from his break up with his Jewish BFF from back in the day.

The portrayal of Dieudonné as an anti-Semite isn't based in reality, rather an overreaction and propaganda storm.

I'm defending Anelka because he's supporting a person who isn't being persecuted by the French government and because the gesture he made isn't anti-Semitic.

If that's ridiculous then fine.