The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

I'm trying not to get silly, but I'll definitely be keeping my eye on both results tomorrow. I honestly think there might be a chance of pushing a Tim Sherwood Spurs side for that 7th place hopefully Europa spot.

I'm with Summers. I don't think there's contact. If there is contact, it's because Suarez unnaturally leaves a leg in. It's a dive, it's cheating and it's not right. You'd all be fucking outraged if it had happened against your team. Suarez is one of the best players in the world, but it's sad he still has to cheat. It's not even as if he's trying to avoid a challenge that would injure him, it's purely to try and get a penalty.

Definitely a dive. No debate in my eyes, there's no contact. People call that sort of incident "clever" and that the striker has the right to go down. Not when they haven't been touched, why does that mean they have a right to go down?

Shame this diving still is a major part of the game, ruins the spectacle at times.

Remember Oscar's (definite) dive against Southampton where he tries to leave his leg in for the keeper to clatter, but that doesn't happen and so he's left to just intentionally 'tap' the GK with said leg and embark upon his twirly journey to the ground entirely off his own back? And then he got booked and the next week was endless talk about what a terrible (in both senses :shifty:) diver he is?

Suarez's dive is exactly the fucking same.

• Like 1

I think Suarez was touched. I also think Suarez embellished the call. The specifics aside, you could not find two less objective people to debate this than Summers and Nerf :P Nerf thinks Suarez's poo is pure white, and has no smell whatsoever.

While Summers would only admit marginal contact had Guzan placed Suarez on the business end of an ICBM and blasted him into North Korea.

• Like 1

Remember Oscar's (definite) dive against Southampton where he tries to leave his leg in for the keeper to clatter, but that doesn't happen and so he's left to just intentionally 'tap' the GK with said leg and embark upon his twirly journey to the ground entirely off his own back? And then he got booked and the next week was endless talk about what a terrible (in both senses :shifty:) diver he is?

Suarez's dive is exactly the fucking same.

Suarez hasn't 'left a leg in' though, Guzan goes into his right leg which is there because he's just used it to control the ball, not because he's just stuck it in for the contact.

Last word on the topic from me though (pending grumpiness...) given that the argument now hinges on contact or not which isn't something anyone's going to compromise on.

I'm with Summers. I don't think there's contact. If there is contact, it's because Suarez unnaturally leaves a leg in. It's a dive, it's cheating and it's not right. You'd all be fucking outraged if it had happened against your team. Suarez is one of the best players in the world, but it's sad he still has to cheat. It's not even as if he's trying to avoid a challenge that would injure him, it's purely to try and get a penalty.

Had it earlier this season, Yanga-Mbiwa conceded a pen and got sent off for touching his shoulder. I thought it was a penalty and naive defending.

Damn you two, that was meant to link with my previous, now my 'last post on the topic' is a lie!