The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

Some telling stats inspired by brenchill's thought the other day.

Cristiano Ronaldo's best season in the EPL saw him score once for every 5.8 shots.

Thierry Henry's best season in the EPL saw him score once every 5.7 shots.

Robin van Persie's best season in the EPL saw him score once every 5.7 shots.

Didier Drogba's best season in the EPL saw him score once every 6.1 shots.

All averaged less than one goal per game.

Luis Suarez is currently averaging a goal every 4.1 shots and 1.4 goals per game. He's actually closer to Messi's best scoring season than any of the above are to him.

And in doing so, each of those players won the league. I don't think Suarez will be joining them.

Each of those players did that over the course of a full season. None of them let their team down by getting banned for a month of the season.

You can make stats like that say anything you like. There are far more variables besides scoring efficiency that need to be considered. For instance, I'm pretty sure Thierry Henry made far more chances for his teammates as well as scoring themselves.

And in doing so, each of those players won the league. I don't think Suarez will be joining them.

You can make stats like that say anything you like. There are far more variables besides scoring efficiency that need to be considered. For instance, I'm pretty sure Thierry Henry made far more chances for his teammates besides that.

They were all part of much better sides, though, and it's entirely possible Suarez could join them. Chance creation is probably the most skewed stat there is, clear cut chances give a far more accurate perspective on those things, and Suarez creates a ton of clear cut chances. It'd be cool if somebody could track down those stats for comparison.