The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

I honestly don't think the squad is that good, to be perfectly homest. We won the league last year, but most would say it was partly down to others under-performing, and of course Sir Alex.

De Gea will be our GK, and Rafael the RB for years to come I expect, but Vidic isn't getting any younger, Rio is past his best, and Evans and Smalling aren't anywhere near consistent enough. I like Phil Jones but at the moment, I'd prefer him in midfield as he's the one player we have for that position who can tackle.

Evra has never been the greatest defensively and is being found out more and more by young, quick players, so that's another area that needs strengthening.

I think we're fine on the wings. Nani, Valencia, Januzaj and Zaha are all more than capable, albeit inconsistent. Young would probably do better playing every week elsewhere.

Our 4 forwards don't need changing either. We still have one of the best attacks in the league, but they're not getting the service they should.

I'd say, with 4-2-3-1 in mind, De Gea, Rafael, Vidic, Carrick, Rooney and RVP will all have guaranteed places in the starting line-up next season (if we hold onto Rooney and RVP that is). The rest need to fight for, and prove they're worthy of a place by August because it just isn't good enough at the moment.

Because Ferguson was shit at the start of his stint at Man U.

Man U were shit when he took over. Moyes has taken over the champions of England.

I know that's the reality of the case, but Man U fans don't see it that way, they want to be known as "the guys who gave Ferguson a chance so they must give Moyes a chance and not be a kneejerk club firing their manager for a bad stint."

Wasn't it pretty much common opinion last season that Fergie won the league with the worst United side he'd had in years, and largely down to failures at City, Chelsea et al? Plus RVP actually playing a full season for the first time in forever.

Moyes isn't doing particularly well, but unless he gets a chance to get some players in and settled they aren't going to gain anything by bringing another new manager through the doors to inherit exactly the same naff midfield. Presumably another Scholes return is off this year too, so its new boys or bust.

• Like 1

Colly and Baddar pretty much have it right.

It's not as simple as Brenchill sees it. United weren't a good enough team last year but managed to get there on Fergie power and inconsistent competitors.

You simply cannot rely on other teams playing below their capabilities forever and the squad badly needs strengthening.

When Moyes had had the time to overhaul the squad and settle the new players in, if we are still playing this ordinary then, then he will deserve to be under pressure.

• Like 1

• Admin
Arsenal's Theo Walcott will miss the World Cup after being ruled out for at least six months with a knee injury.
The England forward, 24, suffered the injury during the 2-0 FA Cup win over Tottenham on Saturday.
An Arsenal statement read: "Theo has sustained a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament of his left knee.
"He will have surgery in the near future and is expected to be out for at least six months, thus missing the rest of the season and the World Cup."
Walcott has been capped 36 times, scoring five goals, with England winning 27 of those matches, drawing seven and losing just twice.
The forward missed two months of the season with a stomach injury and has scored five Premier League goals since returning in November.
Walcott's injury comes as a significant blow to club and country on the same day the Football Association confirmed they would take no further action against him over his gesture to Tottenham fans as he was carried from the field during Saturday's FA Cup tie.
The forward did not appear to be in severe pain as he signalled the Gunners' 2-0 scoreline to Spurs' supporters as objects were thrown at him from supporters in away end.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger had said Walcott was reacting to having coins thrown at him.
The Arsenal statement continued: "Everyone at Arsenal wishes Theo a speedy recovery and we look forward to seeing him back on a football pitch as soon as possible."
Wenger is expected to be without Denmark striker Nicklas Bendtner for all of January with an ankle injury, while France forward Olivier Giroud has missed Arsenal's last two games through a combination of illness and an ankle knock.