The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

Graham Taylor.

Graham Taylor invented pressing.

Dortmund's system is based on high pressure pressing.

Ergo, Taylor invented the Dortmund model.

:shifty:

Bullshit, some Russian invented pressing.

They should just appoint Summ.

He'd spend more time in the stands than on the touchline though - "fucking stupid referees!"

Never once been banned on FM. Ha!

Also, no. Steve Clarke isn't what we need. No no no. Especially this leaky defence balls.. what we need is better football, better players, better coaching. When Vlaar was fit (and Okore) we were okay defensively. We haven't created anything like enough chances for a Premiership side in 90% of our games. Possession is also a joke.

On the plus side.. went on a tour of Villa Park today. Absolutely amazing place. Seriously a fantastic stadium - shame the football on display there isn't up to scratch.

For the record I'm getting really tired of the whole "the person who manages my team is shit and I want rid of him" argument because it shows just how fickle fans actually are when it comes to a few losses in a row, especially when less than half a year ago the fans were pleading with the manager to sign another contract. For example if everything clicked with Villa and they suddenly hurtle up the table you'll look pretty sheepish when you remember the comments you made about sacking him.

I can understand that there's some managers who are actually seriously incompetent and possibly even there via some underhand shenanigans (Steve Kean) but for the most part managers happen to know more than you do so there's probably a reason for their tactical approaches, even if they're completely ripped apart in a match. They're taking a calculated risk with every signing and every match, so of course some things are going to work out better than others.

I can distinctly remember Villa fans during the transfer thread being excited about the players they were signing, at the time everyone was optimistic about the season and so far you're still doing better than last season by spending the majority of it outside of the bottom three. Sure you could still get relegated, but as far as I can see Lambert is doing a good job and the easiest way to turn that into a negative spiral that could end up in relegation is an unjust sacking followed by a questionable choice of manager midway through the transfer window.

• Like 4

So I should support his shit football, bad tactics and weird decisions no matter what?

As for talking about players - there was genuine excitement about Okore. There still is. Most of the rest were unheard of and cheap, but we were positive and excited because we had faith. Because despite the piss-poor season we had, we gave him our support and stuck with him. However - Lambert's own failings are what is causing issues here. Our league position may be higher, but the football on show is diabolical. 30~% possession, at home, against "weaker" sides than us isn't acceptable. Signing players then never using them, alienating experienced members of the side, I could list loads of things that he's doing that are bothering fans.

You can pretend you're this super fan who isn't fickle at all if you want, but all fans want what is best for their football club. Perhaps we've seen enough now, week in and week out, to know that this "project" Lambert harks on about isn't working. Being dumped out of cups by Millwall and Sheff Utd is one thing, but losing over two legs to Bradford sums up Lambert's reign so far.

If he went and won a few games and we climbed the table, of course I'd be happy. I want Villa to do well. Long-term, though, I don't see us progressing further under Lambert.

As, was it metalman?, stated his entire philosophy has seemed to change. He's gone from wanting to play attractive, attacking, football to negative dull tactics.

The same tactics we saw McLeish revert to because he was so limited and scared of losing he felt he has no other choice.

• Like 2

Our league position may be higher, but the football on show is diabolical. 30~% possession, at home, against "weaker" sides than us isn't acceptable.

So you'd rather be playing free attacking football and dancing above the relegation zone than your current situation? or would you find something to complain about there too.

Our league position may be higher, but the football on show is diabolical. 30~% possession, at home, against "weaker" sides than us isn't acceptable.

So you'd rather be playing free attacking football and dancing above the relegation zone than your current situation? or would you find something to complain about there too.

Are those the only two options for clubs then?

We have Arsenal and Liverpool next, easily two losable games. We're only six points clear of the relegation zone - if we lose those, we're right down into it. Just because we're sat in 11th doesn't mean we're comfortable at all. We're closer to 18th than 8th, with some hard games coming up.

As for "finding something to complain about". It isn't hard to find. That's why we can list them with ease. There's clear issues.

You clearly know better than all of us though, so carry on with your insightful bollocks.

• Like 1

He said better football, not attacking football.

Last year was Lambert's first year in charge with radical change, it was always going to be difficult, so they stuck by him and they stayed up, even playing some good football towards the end of the year. It's not unreasonable to want to build on that in a productve way. Being slightly higher in the table won't change that their quality of football is poor and it's unlikely that they'll sustain their league position (which to be honest, isn't all that good) while they play football like this.

• Like 1

I have no idea how my grandparents did this radio footie malarkey.

GET IN THE FA CUP THREAD, YOU BASTARD. THIS IS FOR PREMIERSHIP FOOTBALL. I HATE YOU, NERF.

Fucking Dragons.

How do they work?

• Like 1

Interesting point that I heard today...

Why has Moyes been afforded a "transitional" period by the fans after the team won the league last year?

Teams like Bayern, Madrid and Barca have frequently changed their managers over the years and success has been expected given the squad inherited and funds available. Why isn't the pressure on Moyes now?

Because for the moment, they fear admitting their mistake more than they fear failure.

Or to put it another way, they've built their self-image on being supporters of a club that values continuity, but it's an image that has never been properly tested since they've had unrivaled success for two decades. Now that they appear to be witnessing standards slip, they simply don't know how how to reconcile the two ideals and are left frozen in a state of slowly-encroaching panic.