The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

What's so bad about Paul Lambert anyway? Can Villa realistically have any aspirations beyond where they are in the table this season?

Not so much about league position, that's way higher than our performances deserve which is the issue. We've constantly been dumped out of cups by weaker lower league teams, his signings (majority) are bad, his tactics and substitutions just boggle the mind too, we play such horrible negative football. His stubbornness over certain players (playing people who have been shit all season, and not giving other players chances) is getting ridiculous too. Our home form is horrifying also.

When we're losing, he just takes off any player and throws a striker on. It isn't unusual to see us losing, with four strikers on, all standing up front while the defence just punt long balls towards them.. In the last two games alone, an injury to a CB has seen him bring a winger into the team, and put a RB to CB, instead of putting an actual CB there.

Has Brad Guzan done his coaching badges yet?

I'd hate to see him lose focus on being the best keeper in the world.

"Holy shit"? Makes it sound like you expect world class coaches in at Villa Park? My wording might not have been the best, I didn't mean they'd be glad to have him in now instead of Lambert or whatever, but if he was appointed on his current reputation I don't think Villa fans could complain. He's not really done any less than Lambert in his career as a manager.

Don't get me wrong I think Villa are fine with Paul Lambert, but if he went anytime soon I could see Mackay being near the top of the list of candidates to come in.

As Summers said, there are plenty of coaches better the Mackay who aren't "world-class."

What I want is an experienced manager who has a track record of success. Not the guy who got Cardiff promoted, spent a fortune and got sacked half-way through his first season in the PL. If we can't attract better than that, I give up.

Fair enough, I don't think he'd be a bad appointment though. A gamble for sure, but not a bad choice.

Not sure how likely Lambert is to lose his job this season anyway, right now you're on course to improve a fair bit on last season and I imagine Randy Lerner will be quite pleased with that.

I honest to god have no idea how we have improved, though. It can only be because the teams below us are even worse than they were last year. We are so, so bad right now. If he stays, we're going to be in for a real fight to stay up.

I have nothing against Mackay, but I've followed Villa for the best part of 25 years now, I can't help but expect better.

Okay, who, realisticially, do Villa fans hope to attract if Lambert is given the boot tomorrow?

Really though, more about the type of appointment, than who. Clarke or Mackay - really - would be no different than the last two Scots we've had.

Yeah, I know. The type of manager comment was my legit answer.

I want someone like Bielsa or Magath to come in and kick the shit out of them in training tbh.

Less so Magath, as he's just crazy.. more like Bielsa, he's crazy and a good management choice.

What I really don't understand is why Lambert seems to have changed his playing philosophy so much. At Norwich he always seemed to encourage attacking, free flowing football and that seemed to continue when he first joined villa but since then he's seemed to move more towards the contain and hit them on the break method for some reason. I know little of villa's management structure but I'm not convinced that Lambert's style of play (specifically this season), isn't being forced upon him by someone else

I suppose you could argue he sets the team up to play to their strengths. Villa don't really have any of the cultured midfield players that are required to link attack and defence if you're looking for fluid and exciting football. However, with Agbonlahor's speed and Benteke's ability to snatch goals they have some good players for sitting back and hitting the opposition on the break.