The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

Mackay and Clarke are far too good for Villa :lol:

Two managers who have done less (as managers) than our current one are too good.. Yup.

Mackay hasn't done much at all, and Clarke is a great coach but got found out as manager.

But okay.

Besides the point, I wouldn't want either managing our club. Clarke would be a good assistant to an actual good manager though. Can't see a single thing Mackay would do better than Lambert - Clarke has great ideas and enjoys good football but I don't see him being a great manager.

I think Clarke can still make it as a manager in the top flight, I think he was a bit unfairly dismissed by WBA. As for Mackay, he'd do well at Villa and they'd be glad to have him surely. Not saying he's better or worse than Lambert, who I also rate to some degree, but Mackay has done a great job at Cardiff and deserves a shot at another Premier League team.

"Holy shit"? Makes it sound like you expect world class coaches in at Villa Park? My wording might not have been the best, I didn't mean they'd be glad to have him in now instead of Lambert or whatever, but if he was appointed on his current reputation I don't think Villa fans could complain. He's not really done any less than Lambert in his career as a manager.

Don't get me wrong I think Villa are fine with Paul Lambert, but if he went anytime soon I could see Mackay being near the top of the list of candidates to come in.

• Like 1

"Holy shit"? Makes it sound like you expect world class coaches in at Villa Park? My wording might not have been the best, I didn't mean they'd be glad to have him in now instead of Lambert or whatever, but if he was appointed on his current reputation I don't think Villa fans could complain. He's not really done any less than Lambert in his career as a manager.

Don't get me wrong I think Villa are fine with Paul Lambert, but if he went anytime soon I could see Mackay being near the top of the list of candidates to come in.

As Summers said, there are plenty of coaches better the Mackay who aren't "world-class."

What I want is an experienced manager who has a track record of success. Not the guy who got Cardiff promoted, spent a fortune and got sacked half-way through his first season in the PL. If we can't attract better than that, I give up.

What's so bad about Paul Lambert anyway? Can Villa realistically have any aspirations beyond where they are in the table this season?

What is so bad is the dreadful football we play, our abysmal home record, the dreadful signings he has made bar Benteke and his overall, uninspiring dour manner.