The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

Any team was going to regress after losing a player of Gareth Bale's calibre.

Hold your horses, wasn't this the same Spurs who bought the exact players they needed to improve the squad and maybe even push for the title? Wasn't this the same Spurs that would be improved by adding balance to the squad instead of relying on Bale?

Because to spend that much on players this window and regress shows a remarkable lack of scouting knowledge for someone who was a former scout.

Any team was going to regress after losing a player of Gareth Bale's calibre.

Hold your horses, wasn't this the same Spurs who bought the exact players they needed to improve the squad and maybe even push for the title? Wasn't this the same Spurs that would be improved by adding balance to the squad instead of relying on Bale?

Because to spend that much on players this window and regress shows a remarkable lack of scouting knowledge for someone who was a former scout.

I still have complete faith in this, it's just going to take time. The idea that seven players are going to settle in a new league is absurd. Liverpool are now only seeing the best of Henderson, Arsenal now with Giroud, and I'm sure there are plenty more examples. It's a long season. If AVB is given time (and my God I really, really hope he is) I think we could reap the benefits. On paper, the squad is there. We have depth (albeit not enough in defence, clearly). I'll stand by that Arsenal were worse off last year than us and they did fine by finishing the season strongly. We've still got a good points return for a team not playing well - I have faith we'll turn it around.

Eriksen's been injured, Lamela's still adapting, and Paulinho's got a fair bit to go. When these three players all adapt, we'll be scary. Hopefully it's just sooner rather than later.

Also, Nerf is being terrible shocker. But it's hard to have a go when it's likely Lineker would be doing exactly the same with roles reversed. :P

• Like 1

Not yet. They should though, in time. Players adapting to the league is the exception, not the norm. I think nearly all the signings (except Chadli, he's solid, but really not amazing) are improvements on positions of past seasons. I hope AVB's given time, I think he'll make people eat his words. I can live with a few thrashings if there's an end result.

But, on that note, I'd like to see us be more positive with team selections. Let's take a chance and give Lamela game time - it's the only way he'll get to grips with the league. Let's get Eriksen back in when he's fit and stick with Soldado up top. A big response against West Ham will go a long way with the fans.

Spurs are in the position that Liverpool were in after the Kenny/Comolli summer of spending. Lots of money spent, but so many players to bed in that it will take ages and ages to do it. Spurs have bought players of a higher quality than Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing but still the same logic applies.

Actually, Spurs are in the same-ish league position that Liverpool were midway through that season too. :shifty:

The Anfield Wrap is going to be fun to listen to tomorrow. Especially when Neil Atkinson tweets:

Liverpool that was outrageous. That is a game changer. And you have just fucked Monday.