Sir Alex Ferguson to retire as Man Utd manager at end of season

Lineker

• Admin

Sod it, it does deserve it's own thread.

Sir Alex won 38 trophies during his reign at Old Trafford, including 13 league titles (one every other year on average!), two Champions League crowns, five FA Cups and four League Cups. He will now become a director and ambassador for the club.

His final game against West Brom will be his 1500th at the helm.

David Moyes is the current favourite to take over, although Everton have said that they are yet to receive an approach.

• Like 1

Still never managed to equal Bob Paisley's 3 European Cups!

No doubt his will haunt him the rest of his life. :shifty:

I hope this is the beginning of the end for them, without a doubt he's been one of the biggest factors behind their success over the last 20 years.

Probably the best that he retires now, too, City will strengthen this summer and if chelsea get mourinho then potentially man utd could finish 3rd next season and I don't think he'd want to bow out with his lowest premier league finish. Better to leave on top.

An interesting point that no one else seems to have mentioned yet is, could this lead (long term, not saying it'll happen this summer or anything) that some of their bigger names won't be as committed to the club as they have been under fergie? A lot of players stick around because they wanted to play under fergie, would Moyes or anyone else have the same effect?

• Like 1

There won't be another manager who'll achieve what he has done with United for a long time. I don't like the guy but his record speaks for itself and he has constantly kept United strong and will leave behind a young team that has the ability to continue winning titles. You can't not admire and respect what he has done

An interesting point that no one else seems to have mentioned yet is, could this lead (long term, not saying it'll happen this summer or anything) that some of their bigger names won't be as committed to the club as they have been under fergie? A lot of players stick around because they wanted to play under fergie, would Moyes or anyone else have the same effect?

Also think about how some of his average squads have overachieved. I have no doubt that's down to his man-management. Here's hoping that without it, United crumble.

Also, lets not forget 8 years at Aberdeen:

European Cup Winners Cup 1982/83

European Super Cup 1983/84

Three Championships 1979/80, 1983/84, 1984/85

Four Scottish Cups 1981/82, 1982/83, 1983/84, 1985/86

Scottish League Cup 1985/86

Just as impressive.

Yes, let's hope United crumble so the league can be contested by Manchester City and Chelsea every year. Three cheers for oil barons!

Seriously, guys, come on...

Because that scenario would be Totally Different and Less Desirable to a league dominated by 'Manchester United plus guest'.

• Like 3

I am absolutely stunned. Heard the rumours late last night and woke up today to hear it as the main news on the radio. I guess I just thought Fergie would be there forever. He almost single-handedly turned Manchester United into the greatest football team in the country and possibly even the world. It will take a long, long time for that club to step out of his shadow I think.

It's just going to be very strange seeing someone else in the hotseat. Though he hadn't won any title when I was born, he was already the United manager. What a legacy he leaves behind.

I hope Mourinho is taking over, because I will be able to laugh for weeks and weeks at Chelsea fans who are all convinced he's coming back there. Plus it might mean Moyes isn't leaving Everton, something I kind of hope doesn't happen even though I think the club could do with a fresh approach.

• Like 1