2013 NFL Season Thread

Lint

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Tanier has pre-written an article on the Patriots releasing Tebow

(Editors: As you know, I get very busy in late August, so I like to pre-write some obvious news items so they can be easily and quickly posted. This is postdated to Aug. 31, 2013, when rosters are cut down to 53. Just edit it then. If you have any questions, look back at the protocol for Andy Reid’s firing around New Year’s. Whatever you do, make sure this does NOT get posted before it happens on Aug. 31. Thanks!)

The 10-week Tim Tebow Patriots experiment is over. The Patriots released Tebow on Saturday to get their roster down to 53 players.

The Patriots signed Tebow on June 10 to compete with Ryan Mallett for the right to back up Tom Brady, and for use as a goal-line and specialty player. Tebow saw limited action in the second halves of several preseason games, rushing for 125 yards and a touchdown on 31 carries but completing just 47 percent of his passes against second- and third-string competition. (Ed: Adjust stats slightly when we have the real numbers.)

“He competed hard and did everything we asked him to do,” Bill Belichick said. “We just felt more comfortable with Ryan in the end.” (Ed: Place-holder quote, of course. Just insert what B.B. says at the press conference. This will be close enough for now.)

Tebow’s arrival created the typical media circus environment, with constant coverage on ESPN and the NFL Network, and breathless stories of Tebow’s every move. When Tebow (ed: choose whichever happens) ran a Wildcat touchdown in a goal-line drill/ran a fake punt in an exhibition game/completed four straight passes in a 7-on-7 drill, the story led “SportsCenter” and received 30 minutes of coverage on “NFL AM.”

Still, Belichick denied that distractions played a part in Tebow’s release. “That had nothing to do with it,” he snapped tersely. (Ed: No need to change. He will say this, in this way.)

Tom Brady, the three-time champion and two-time league MVP temporarily pushed out of the spotlight during camp, had nothing but nice things to say about his famous short-term backup. “Tebow was an incredible competitor,” Brady said. When asked if Tebow inspired him or forced him to elevate his game, Brady’s pupils dilated and briefly coughed as if trying not to swallow his tongue. ”Like I said, he was an incredible competitor,” Brady finally choked out.

Tebow is once again unemployed, and it is not clear who will next take a chance on him, though (INSERT TEAM) just lost backup quarterback (INSERT PLAYER) and could be a potential suitor. The Jaguars are also a possibility. (Ed: Linking Tebow to the Jaguars is a tradition, don’t buck it.) When Tebow does get signed, it will again be as a backup or “slash” player, but it will again attract an insanely inordinate amount of attention, as his release from the Jets did on April 29 and his signing by the Patriots did in June 10.

The coverage of the Patriots signing was especially hard to comprehend, as Tebow had zero chance of competing for a starting job and appeared to be more useful to his new team as a guy who imitates Colin Kaepernick on the scout team than as someone who would have a major role on the offense. While Tebow retains a huge fanbase, was an excellent collegiate player and has undeniable impact as a cultural figure, the gap between his football newsworthiness and the coverage he receives grows wider with each transaction. It has grown out of control and become unhealthy for Tebow, the NFL, the media outlets generating the coverage and polarized, engorged fans. Perhaps this release will bring his buzz-generating value back into line with his real value. (Ed: Just cut out if you think this is too much editorializing, but you know darn well it is true.)

Tebow’s release allowed the Patriots to keep undrafted free agent (Ed: pick right one) Kenbrell Thompkins/Brandon Ford/Kanoris Davis on the 53 man roster. “Special teams depth is critical,” Belichick growled about the decision.

Brady was also pleased to hear Thompkins/Ford/Davis made the team. “He’s an incredible competitor,” Brady said.

• 2 weeks later...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/england-patriots-aaron-hernandez-legal-issues-part-troubling-110400253.html

Hernandez linked with homicide :/

Annnd....

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-PressRelease/Jaguars-City-Reach-Agreement-for-New-Scoreboards-Renovation-of-North-End-Zone-at-EverBank-Field/46db4f44-646d-4e96-aa2c-b68cd42f3f23

Highlights of the agreement include:

• New video scoreboards in each end zone, each measuring 55 by 301 feet, making them the largest of their kind in the world.
  • Major enhancements to EverBank Field’s video capabilities.
  • New LED fascia board displays:
    • Two sideline boards, each measuring 3.6 by 579 feet
    • Two displays in the Bud Light Party Deck and above the Terrace Suites in the South End Zone, each measuring 3.6 by 106 feet
    • Two displays over tunnels, each measuring 6 by 22 feet
    • One display in the North End Zone measuring 10 by 400 feet
    • A new scoreboard control room equipped with state-of-the-art software.
    • A new platform area in the north end zone with pools, unique food and beverage offerings, interactive activities and much more than will entertain and serve guests in a fashion that celebrates the vibe and spirit of life in Jacksonville . Construction of the platform will result in the removal of approximately 7,000 seats (usually tarped), though temporary seating can be installed for major events that will require a larger stadium capacity.

Nope, and every day it's looking more and more like he had something to do with it. Today's reports said that there were 4 guys, including Hernandez and Odin Lloyd (The victim) at the bar, and only 3 of them came back to Hernandez' house. I'll leave it up to you to figure out who didn't.

This Aaron Hernandez story isn't gonna end well for anyone. :(

I'm enjoying it. Though not as much as when we found out Marvin Harrison was a stone cold thug and slum lord.

I'm enjoying it. Though not as much as when we found out Marvin Harrison was a stone cold thug and slum lord.

That was like the most open secret in Philly though, the media just decided to never pick up on it. At one of my terrible college jobs I worked with current and former drug dealers who knew Harrison personally. I'll let you connect the dots there.

Murdering somebody worked out pretty well for Ray Lewis. All Hernandez has to do now is destroy the clothes he was wearing, sell his friends out, become a preachy hypocrite and we'll all forget. <_<

• Like 1

2:05: ABC News is reporting that police arrived at Hernandez's home today armed with a warrant based on information that "he destroyed his home security system," and the cell phone he handed over to investigators was smashed into pieces. Additionally, a professional cleaning service was hired to clean Hernandez's home on Monday

ESPN released their Fantasy Football Draft Kit, some interesting rankings. Time to open the floor to suggestions for how to restructure the leagues, I suppose.

ESPN released their Fantasy Football Draft Kit, some interesting rankings. Time to open the floor to suggestions for how to restructure the leagues, I suppose.

By the looks of the Top 10, we're gonna need a lot of running back slots <_<

I'm game for an EWB league, prefer Yahoo over ESPN though.

And oh Aaron Hernandez you gone done fucked up. Warrant out for his arrest now, on obstruction of justice charges. I get the feeling this might be a lot worse later on, maybe not the murder 1 on him directly but some more significant charge.

Oh yeah, definitely. He gave his cell phone in pieces to the cops, destroyed his security tapes and equipment, and had a cleaning crew do his house right after all this happens. Looks a wee bit shifty!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/england-patriots-aaron-hernandez-legal-issues-part-troubling-110400253.html

Hernandez linked with homicide :/

Annnd....

http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-PressRelease/Jaguars-City-Reach-Agreement-for-New-Scoreboards-Renovation-of-North-End-Zone-at-EverBank-Field/46db4f44-646d-4e96-aa2c-b68cd42f3f23

Highlights of the agreement include:

• New video scoreboards in each end zone, each measuring 55 by 301 feet, making them the largest of their kind in the world.
  • Major enhancements to EverBank Field’s video capabilities.
  • New LED fascia board displays:
    • Two sideline boards, each measuring 3.6 by 579 feet
    • Two displays in the Bud Light Party Deck and above the Terrace Suites in the South End Zone, each measuring 3.6 by 106 feet
    • Two displays over tunnels, each measuring 6 by 22 feet
    • One display in the North End Zone measuring 10 by 400 feet
    • A new scoreboard control room equipped with state-of-the-art software.
    • A new platform area in the north end zone with pools, unique food and beverage offerings, interactive activities and much more than will entertain and serve guests in a fashion that celebrates the vibe and spirit of life in Jacksonville . Construction of the platform will result in the removal of approximately 7,000 seats (usually tarped), though temporary seating can be installed for major events that will require a larger stadium capacity.

Too bad they don't know how they're going to pay for it