2012/2013 MLB Offseason Thread

Lint

The Miami Marlins and Toronto Blue Jays have agreed to a multiple-player trade that would send shortstop Jose Reyes and pitcher Josh Johnson to Toronto, sources told ESPN.

Also going to Toronto would be pitcher Mark Buehrle, catcher John Buck and infielder-outfielder Emilio Bonifacio.

"Just about any (Marlins) player making money is going to Toronto," a source told ESPN.

Toronto is still without a manager after the Boston Red Sox hired John Farrell.

"It's a good day to be bluejay!" a tweet from Toronto's Jose Bautista read.

While Bautista was elated with the proposed trade, Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton voiced his frustration via Twitter.

"Alright, I'm pissed off!!! Plain & Simple," Stanton tweeted.

Johnson, who has spent his entire career with the Marlins told the Palm Beach Post that he's "in shock, but really excited to start a new chapter in my life."

Major League Baseball will have to examine the amount of money and contracts changing hands before signing off on the deal.

The Blue Jays are sending shortstop Yunel Escobar, right-hander Henderson Alvarez, catcher Jeff Mathis and prospects Jake Marisnick (OF), Adeiny Hechavarria (SS), Justin Nicolino (LHP) and Anthony DeSclafani (RHP) to the Marlins, sources told ESPN.

Baseball America, in rankings released last week, have Marisnick as Toronto's No. 2 prospect, Nicolino as No. 5 and Hechevarria as No. 8.

Reyes (six years, $106 million) and Buehrle (four years, $58 million) just signed long-term deals with the Marlins last offseason. Buck has one year remaining at $6 million, Johnson has one year at $13.75 million and Bonifacio is eligible for arbitration after making $2.2 million last year.

In addition to adding Reyes and Buehrle, the Marlins also splurged last offseason on manager Ozzie Guillen and closer Heath Bell while making failed overtures to free agents Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson.

Since the start of the 2012 season, Miami has fired Guillen and dealt Bell (Diamondbacks), infielder Hanley Ramirez (Dodgers), starting pitcher Anibal Sanchez (Tigers) and second baseman Omar Infante (Tigers). The Marlins also acquired first baseman Carlos Lee in a trade.

The blockbuster trade that is brewing, perhaps, should not come as a surprise, however.

"We've kind of lost our Marlins way," president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest said less than two weeks ago. "The real Marlins way was we always outperformed our challenges. Whatever our challenges were, whether it was playing in a football stadium or weather or a lack of fans, or lack of revenue for that matter, we always found a way to outperform our challenges."

In 20 years of existence, the Marlins have only twice made the postseason, but won the World Series each time. As wild-card teams, the then Florida Marlins won the 1997 and 2003 World Series.

While the team had hopes of at least a playoff appearance instead of a last-place finish in 2012, Buehrle and Reyes played up to expectations. Buehrle went 13-13 with a 3.74 ERA and topped 200 innings for the 12th year in a row and won a Gold Glove. Reyes hit .287 with 40 steals in 160 games.

Johnson, who led the NL in ERA in 2010, went 8-14 this year with a 3.81 ERA. He was limited to nine starts in 2011 because of right shoulder inflammation.

This one really establishes that Loria doesn't care at all for anything except his own wallet. With the Orioles making the playoffs this year he's got to be the worst owner in the league now.

I'd have always put Angelos above Loria. At least recently he's been TRYING to get players to take his money.

This is just a mind blowing trade. Defensible on both sides from a pure baseball perspective (although outside of Hech, for each prospect in this deal there's a better prospect in the Jays system at the same position), but a potential franchise killer optically speaking. The Jays accumulate risk but I think just how much is being overstated. Reyes managed to get into 160 games last year and he's only had two seasons where injuries kept him from being statistically a 4-6 win player. Even if he continues to miss an average of 20-30 games a season his contract profiles as market value, he's only guaranteed through age 34 and with the new TV revenue coming plus assumed inflation, he won't need to stay a 4-6 win player for it to be a fair contract. Mark Buerhle is the one who they'll almost certainly end up overpaying for, but it's only a 3 year commitment and he provides almost guaranteed durability, quality innings and he'll consistently make his starts (the kind of consistency this team has sorely lacked in recent years). Josh Johnson is an unbelievable get, probably one and done but you never know, and if he does go then you'll recoup a 1st. If he stays healthy then you have a legitimate #1 to go up against any pitcher in this division. Bonifacio is an unspectacular but useful supersub, and a respectable starting 2B if they so choose, and John Buck gives them the option of trying to move JP Arencibia as part of a package to address the remaining area of need in LF while they wait for Travis D'Arnaud to be ready.

In one move the Jays addressed almost every offseason need they had. I don't even mind that it took being the beneficiary of Jeffrey Loria's con to get it done.

Before the season started my friend, a Met fan, told me he thought Dickey was going to win the CY Young...I told him he was absolutely crazy. I thought at best Dickey would be a serviceable 3-4 starter. It was surprising to see how excellent he was this year, though, considering how low my expectations are. I had to give big props to my friend.

I don't understand why the Mets feel the need to shop Dickey...I think they aren't that far from contending. Their rotation is fine...add a guy like Saunders just to eat more innings...and then you get a serviceable bat or two like BJ Upton and a 2B with pop, and that team is not that bad. A lineup with Davis-Wright-Upton-Duda at it's core doesn't seem that much worse than the Giants WS offense from two years ago. Then you throw guys like Dickey-Santana-Niese-Harvey-and maybe a cheap veteran, and that should be good enough to contend as well. I don't understand the feeling that the Mets still aren't close to being a playoff-caliber team.

Because if we take RBI as a serious stat then Josh Willingham and Billy Butler are elite hitters. Triple Crown's awesome, nobody's disputing it, you have to be in both a good lineup and a great player to accomplish it. However, Trout had the best WAR of any player since Bonds was juicing. And if you want to remove those because of steroids, then Trout's season was the best for an offensive player in 21 years (Ripken in '91). Despite winning the Triple Crown, Cabrera's overall numbers were not historic. Trout's were.

• Like 1

Because if we take RBI as a serious stat then Josh Willingham and Billy Butler are elite hitters. Triple Crown's awesome, nobody's disputing it, you have to be in both a good lineup and a great player to accomplish it. However, Trout had the best WAR of any player since Bonds was juicing. And if you want to remove those because of steroids, then Trout's season was the best for an offensive player in 21 years (Ripken in '91). Despite winning the Triple Crown, Cabrera's overall numbers were not historic. Trout's were.

In addition, Trout impacts the game in an elite manner in every aspect (offense, defense, base running). For as good as Cabrera's offensive season was, his defensive season was just as bad.

Edited by Mofoticon
  • Like 1

In addition, Trout impacts the game in an elite manner in every aspect (offense, defense, base running). For as good as Cabrera's offensive season was, his defensive season was just as bad.

Leading the league in SB and Runs Scored when you played in 20-25 less games than everyone else, is a marvel. He produced more runs than anyone else in the league.

It's really not that difficult to grasp that Cabrera won because his team actually accomplished something. You can talk about WAR all you want but if it doesn't lead to that team to having enough wins to make the playoffs, nobody will care that much.