Dishonored

apsham

Man. My PS3 is on it's way out and I have to put up with crap like this from Steam to play games on my PC. :( I was hoping to have a play of this today, because there's no way that I'll be loading up Dishonored at midnight when I've got XCOM pre-loaded and ready. It's just ridiculous that I now have to do things Steams way, despite the fact that I didn't plan on involving the program in any way. Fair enough with a game like XCOM, where I purchased it on Steam, but this is just stupid. If it weren't for the fact that I'd feel like I'd blown a ton of money (and the worry that Steam would get pissy if it realized) I'd just torrent the games and play them now.

I've pirated a few games I wasn't 100% sold on to demo (where one didn't exist), or if I was buying them but the torrent was out a week before release, or if I was super desperate if I didn't have the money until I was paid but was desperate to play it etc and have then gone on to buy them with no issue on steam. Steam games that are pirated seem to just have a steam.dll that you put in their folder which tricks the game into thinking it has been activated on steam. They don't actually run through steam or sit in your list of games or whatever, if you add them to steam it's as a non-steam game thingo.

Piracy is bad and your balls will fall off yadda yadda yadda.

On topic I am going to make a concerted effort today to play the game the way I assume it was intended to be played. Far more sneaky and far less 'fucked if I know how to get around them, stabby stabby'.

I played for an hour or so last night so still on what is probably the second mission...

Kill the guy, rescue the other guy, help Granny Rags if you want, keep the captain alive if you want...

I'm in no rush though. Looking for the bones and runes and stuff for the power-ups. The heart is a beautiful thing though - just pointing it towards random stuff and pressing to hear what it thinks - that's really haunting.

Also liking The Outsider. Really liking his work.

Just checked the voice cast - wow. Susan Sarandon, Michael Madsen, Lena Headey, Chloe Grace Moretz, Carrie Fisher...

I broke into someone's house to get something (not saying what of course) and peeked through a keyhole to listen in on a maid and guard talking about their upcoming marriage. Of course I couldn't bring pain and death on them after that. I wished them happiness for the future by merely tranquilizing the guard. :wub:

If you listened more you would have heard...

The bride-to-be talking about sleeping with the doctor to keep her job.

Of course, I still choked them both out.

Oh and Roger Sterling voices one of the characters which is just awesome.

Edited by Clawson

I broke into someone's house to get something (not saying what of course) and peeked through a keyhole to listen in on a maid and guard talking about their upcoming marriage. Of course I couldn't bring pain and death on them after that. I wished them happiness for the future by merely tranquilizing the guard. :wub:

She saw me...so I cut her and then knocked her out.

You disgust me.

Man. My PS3 is on it's way out and I have to put up with crap like this from Steam to play games on my PC. :( I was hoping to have a play of this today, because there's no way that I'll be loading up Dishonored at midnight when I've got XCOM pre-loaded and ready. It's just ridiculous that I now have to do things Steams way, despite the fact that I didn't plan on involving the program in any way. Fair enough with a game like XCOM, where I purchased it on Steam, but this is just stupid. If it weren't for the fact that I'd feel like I'd blown a ton of money (and the worry that Steam would get pissy if it realized) I'd just torrent the games and play them now.

I've pirated a few games I wasn't 100% sold on to demo (where one didn't exist), or if I was buying them but the torrent was out a week before release, or if I was super desperate if I didn't have the money until I was paid but was desperate to play it etc and have then gone on to buy them with no issue on steam. Steam games that are pirated seem to just have a steam.dll that you put in their folder which tricks the game into thinking it has been activated on steam. They don't actually run through steam or sit in your list of games or whatever, if you add them to steam it's as a non-steam game thingo.

Piracy is bad and your balls will fall off yadda yadda yadda.

On topic I am going to make a concerted effort today to play the game the way I assume it was intended to be played. Far more sneaky and far less 'fucked if I know how to get around them, stabby stabby'.

Piracy is bad, but if you're super desperate, then it's ok.

:rolleyes:

You disgust me.

Hey! That's what she gets for being a cheating whore! And that's what she gets for noticing the assassin.

Going to be continuing the second mission tonight...doing a side quest for Slackjaw.

Point stands.

What point?

I worked in a supermarket once upon a time. A surprisingly large amount of people would pick up a bottle of water and drink it by the time they got to the register, I guess we should have called the police because clearly that's shop lifting even when they want to pay for the empty bottle.

We will also totally ignore when a game leaks early, you play it and having done so feel much more secure in pimping the absolute crap out of it as you know it's a great game and already have it pre-ordered.

Oddly some game companies think this is great (stupid them right?) Which is why I was sent a PS3 copy of Transformers: War for Cybertron about 2 weeks before it hit stores in exchange for me agreeing to give an honest opinion on social media and to friends and family (Contagious Network if you wanna check ;)).

The market has changed, especially on PC which is my system of choice. It's extremely rare that a game comes in a box any more (to the point that I didn't bother installing an optical drive) yet somehow I have legally purchased over 230 games (proper games, not 300 games for $5) for it in less than 6 months of owning it.

If anything since owning a PC I have become more attached to the developers, this is because there is no middle man between us. They want to court me so I will buy their game and in return I want to help support them make their next game (through Kickstarter, promoting games I'm excited about etc). I'm fairly confident if someone contacted a dev with an admission that they pirated a game on Monday and bought it in full on Thursday they would be far less upset (if upset at all) than if someone emailed them and said 'I love you and to support you I just bought this game second hand from a games shop'.

Hell to a dev/publisher there is no difference between piracy and buying second hand. One is just seen as legitimate.

• Like 1

A surprisingly large amount of people would pick up a bottle of water and drink it by the time they got to the register, I guess we should have called the police because clearly that's shop lifting even when they want to pay for the empty bottle.

Technically, where I live at least, it isn't actually shoplifting until they try to take the item past the past possible point where they could pay for it. So if they drink it while in the store, then go to a register and pay for it before they leave, they aren't actually shoplifting.

A surprisingly large amount of people would pick up a bottle of water and drink it by the time they got to the register, I guess we should have called the police because clearly that's shop lifting even when they want to pay for the empty bottle.

Technically, where I live at least, it isn't actually shoplifting until they try to take the item past the past possible point where they could pay for it. So if they drink it while in the store, then go to a register and pay for it before they leave, they aren't actually shoplifting.

That was my point, in the long run consuming something prior to purchase does no harm, well it does as the company might miss out on like $0.05 interest they would generate off your money.

This is getting way off topic. If someone wants to start a piracy thread to discuss these issues then cool, otherwise I'm done. I have more important things to do, like play Dishonored :D