The Continuing Chronicles Of Jay Feaster's Incompetence

Ruki

Unless Brenden Morrow is willing to re-up for less money and Pittsburgh moves out salary, this is strictly a rental deal, in which case Dallas comes out with a defenseman in Joe Morrow that I would say is a safe bet to be a 2nd pairing d-man, maybe as soon as 2014-15. I can see him playing on the third pair for Dallas as soon as this season.

On the surface, it looks like Pittsburgh made out like bandits on this deal, but dig a little deeper and Joe Nieuwendyk just cleared some cap space and added a potential stud to his weak d-core. Joe Morrow is already, arguably, the 4th or 5th best d-man in the organization. Good deal for Pittsburgh too, because they have lots of depth on the back end.

Both teams get what they need out of the deal, and the swap of picks is strictly because Pittsburgh either loses Brenden Morrow at the end of the year, or has to lose other pieces to keep him.

EDIT: Because of the minimal size of the deal, the Penguins are still probably in on Iginla. Would be another rental situation, unless the Penguins are willing to give up a roster player in the deal if Feaster is willing to give up picks.

Changing the topic from "Jay Bouwmeester for actual value" to something slightly less comical...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x61qLM1OMhI

Teams get two amnesty buyouts, right? Something like that?

I wouldn't be shocked if the Flyers bought out Briere as well. He's been a great Flyer, but his regualr season production is zilch, and he hasn't scored a goal in a month. He's injured now, too. I don't quite know what his cap hit looks like, but I'm sure he doesn't come cheap.

6,500,000, but only 3 million actually salary. Could be alright for teams trying to reach the cap.

He's got a no movement clause, and he will only go to teams where he can be with his kids. So, any teams around the Philly area... say, I dunno... Pittsburgh?

Yeah, NJ, NY and Washington are definitely closer than PIT. Also, no fucking shot the Flyers trade Briere to the Penguins.

The no trade clause hurts a bit, because I could see a bunch of teams lining up for Briere. Although, now he has a concussion and is out indefinitely, so this could all be moot.

Yeah, NJ, NY and Washington are definitely closer than PIT. Also, no fucking shot the Flyers trade Briere to the Penguins.

The no trade clause hurts a bit, because I could see a bunch of teams lining up for Briere. Although, now he has a concussion and is out indefinitely, so this could all be moot.

The rumblings are that he's going to be a buyout at the end of the season, at which point the Devils, Rangers, Caps and Pens will all probably put in some time trying to see what it would take to sign him.

Good return for Douglas Murray. He can be a real force on the back end, but hasn't played particularly well this season. So the Sharks just got two second rounders for a guy they probably weren't going to re-sign at the end of the season anyways.

If he returns to form, he's going to help shore up the back end in Pittsburgh though. The Penguins are easily the front-runners in the East right now. Ray Shero has managed to improve his team without taking away any of the pieces.

A lot of people are saying that the Bruins are a lock for Iginla now, but I'm not sold on the idea that Shero is out of the hunt. He could easily afford to fit Iginla under the cap without losing much from his team, if anything.

The rumor is that Boston offered Khoklachev and a 2nd round pick to Dallas for Brenden Morrow, but the Stars really favored having Joe Morrow. If that's indicative of what Boston is willing to part with for Iginla, then I don't think they are frontrunners. The Pens still have a slew of talented prospects that would be great to have in the Flames system. Much more so than what Boston is willing to part with.

One of the picks going back for Murray is conditional on him signing with Pittsburgh in the offseason.

Good grab. Even if SJ fans had soured on him (psst! it's your whole team, guys), Murray brings tools that Pittsburgh doesn't have and will need for a deep playoff run. He loves to block shots, was eating up lots of time on one the NHL's best penalty kills, and is freakishly strong in clearing the front of the net.

Carolina just extended Alex Semin for five years at $7 million per season.

That leaves them just over $6 million with 17 players signed for next year.

Possible that they move out some salary at the deadline or draft, but it's also possible that this is the team that the Hurricanes are comfortable going into next year with.

I am pleasantly surprised to see Toronto get 3 of 4 points from Boston. Was expecting 0 and to see teams passing the Leafs in the standings.

I would like to see the Leafs add a veteran defender or a big centre, but I doubt any good centres will be available.

I am pleasantly surprised to see Toronto get 3 of 4 points from Boston. Was expecting 0 and to see teams passing the Leafs in the standings.

I would like to see the Leafs add a veteran defender or a big centre, but I doubt any good centres will be available.

Well if we use the EWB economy you could trade Bozak to the flyers, and take on 90% of his salary cap hit...for that haul you could probably get both Schenns, two first round picks, a conditional fourth if Bozak re-signs and...GABBA GABBA GABBA!

• Like 3

Well if we use the EWB economy you could trade Bozak to the flyers, and take on 90% of his salary cap hit...for that haul you could probably get both Schenns, two first round picks, a conditional fourth if Bozak re-signs and...GABBA GABBA GABBA!

That's an overpayment by the Flyers.

We'd have to throw in a 6th.

Both Schenns and two first-round picks? C'mon, it's not like we're trading Mike Komisarek here. For Bozak, I'd expect nothing less than Sean Couturier, three firsts, the rights to Claude Giroux and being allowed to punch one members of the Flyers past or present in the balls. After all, he IS a first-line centre on one of the Eastern Conference's top teams.