The Continuing Chronicles Of Jay Feaster's Incompetence

Ruki

Wow, the Leafs had a bad half of the second period, and a pretty bad (so far) third....but I LOVE Kadri.

2 goals for him tonight. 32 points in 31 games!

Edit: Apparently he had an assist on Grabo's goal. So 33 points :o

Edit 2: Wow, this OT.

Edit 3: We suck at shootouts <_<

Recap of my Flames deadline movement shit.

Jarome Iginla to Pittsburgh.

So next up is Jay Bouwmeester, who I had included in a potential deal with Pittsburgh (as an option with Giordano or Brodie being possibilities as well).

If Jay Bo doesn't go in a bigger deal with Iginla, then I can see him moving to Philadelphia. Right up until a couple weeks ago, I thought it was a lock that if the Flames moved him, that it would be to Detroit. I can still see something happening there. It's entirely possible, especially with Valteri Filpulla's name coming up in rumor discussions of late. That being said, I still think that the Flyers will have the most interest in the minute-eating defenseman, and the most to give up.

Philadelphia currently sits with $3 million in cap space for next season, with 18 players locked up and Chris Pronger's cap hit still on the books. Philly has been pretty bad in their own end this season and will be looking to upgrade at the deadline. Ever since losing Pronger and his 25+ minutes per game, the impact has been felt in the Flyers end. Equal blame has to fall on Ilya Bryzgalov (though he has been better this season than last), who is a likely candidate for a buyout at season's end.

Assuming the Flyers do buyout Bryzgalov, that leaves them with just under $9 million to lock up three forwards and a goalie. Simon Gagne is a free agent at the end of the year. He makes $3.5 right now, and I'd expect about $2.5 or $3 for a renewal with the Flyers. So that brings us down to $6.5, with two forwards and a goalie needed. If Paul Holmgren goes out to acquire Jay Bouwmeester at the deadline, it takes Philly up over the salary cap for next season with two forwards and a goaltender still needed.

So if Bouwmeester is on the Flyers radar still, and they are serious about acquiring a guy to fill the role that Pronger left behind, they are going to have to make room under the cap. This benefits Calgary, as Jay Feaster now holds the cards in this deal. The Flames right now sit with $17 million available for next season. Remove Bouwmeester's deal and it goes up to $23 million.

Who would the Flames target?

Brayden Schenn, Max Talbot, Wayne Simmonds, Sean Couturier and Matt Read all either play the Bob Hartley style or fit a glaring need the team has.

On the back end, only Luke Schenn really fits the criteria that should be set forth by management.

In terms of prospects, Scott Laughton is the one that sticks out the most.

Philadelphia wants Bouwmeester, but needs the Flames to take back salary to make it work.

JayBo is sitting at $6.8

The Schenn brothers are unlikely to move, and Feaster will probably want a defenseman back in the deal. Because of that, we dip into draft picks instead.

To send back what Philly takes in cap hit, they would need to part with Talbot, Simmons and Couturier. I find that highly unlikely.

So my proposed deal is:

To Philadelphia:

Jay Bouwmeester

To Calgary:

Sean Couturier

Wayne Simmonds

1st Round Pick

and the Flames eat half of Jay Bouwmeester's salary for the final year of his deal. Meaning his cap hit is $3.4 for Philly, which is less than Wayne Simmonds is set to make going forward, as his cap hit jumps to $3.9 from $1.7 this year.

Essentially, the deal is Bouwmeester for a centerman (Couturier) and a first round pick. Wayne Simmonds is added to the deal because Philly needs the cap space and the Flames need the incentive to eat some of JayBo's cap hit.

Couturier is languishing on the 3rd line in Philly, getting little-to-no power play time. He doesn't seem to be in the plans for the team going forward, or not enough to make him an untouchable, at least. Wayne Simmonds provides a similar style of play to Iginla. He doesn't have the same hands that Jarome does, but his compete level and grit remind me of Jarome Iginla from his prime.

So to recap:

Jarome Iginla to Pittsburgh

Jay Bouwmeester to Philadelphia

Mike Cammalleri is next.

For somebody who rips Jay-Bo, you certainly overrated his value. If the flyers made a trade like that, every team in the league would be lining up to take advantage of them with more laughable offers... I just don't see how they can get anywhere near that, let alone half of that offer.

• Like 1

For somebody who rips Jay-Bo, you certainly overrated his value. If the flyers made a trade like that, every team in the league would be lining up to take advantage of them with more laughable offers... I just don't see how they can get anywhere near that, let alone half of that offer.

I rip on him because he's overpaid and doesn't do what he was brought in to do. He's having a much better year this season, but he's too soft, and that's cost us a lot of goals when he won't play the body hard and loses his man.

Is he better than he has shown in Calgary? Yes. He needs a change of scenery.

More than that, though, the Philadelphia Flyers can't just take on his salary. They want him. It's out there that they want him, but unless they make other cost cutting moves, they won't be able to fit him under next year's cap, and they still have bodies they need to add. The Flyers are in cost-cutting mode, but they're also looking to upgrade. That's not going to come without a price.

Is what I proposed what would happen? Probably not. Feaster would settle for less, and Holmgren would send a big contract somewhere at the draft for nothing picks or prospects that a team has given up on. Ideally though, for both teams, Feaster takes salary back in a Bouwmeester deal and eats a bit of JayBo's contract. The Flames though, will not be taking back bad contracts and older players if they make a move.

We're in a climate right now where there are a lot of teams who are going to have to make unpopular moves just to fit under next year's salary cap. I think those will be the biggest trades come deadline day. The one's made with next year in mind specifically.

Of course what I'm proposing is idealistic for the Flames. It's what I think Feaster should be going after. He's going to settle for less on every front. If he makes any moves at the deadline with the future in mind, it's a total win from the fans standpoint. Ownership has handcuffed the GM role in Calgary at every turn that isn't trying to make the team better immediately.

But you guys are seriously under-estimating the value of cap space. Especially for teams like Philadelphia, who are going to have to make some really unpopular moves to make it work under next year's salary cap.

Of course what I'm proposing is idealistic for the Flames. It's what I think Feaster should be going after. He's going to settle for less on every front. If he makes any moves at the deadline with the future in mind, it's a total win from the fans standpoint. Ownership has handcuffed the GM role in Calgary at every turn that isn't trying to make the team better immediately.

But you guys are seriously under-estimating the value of cap space. Especially for teams like Philadelphia, who are going to have to make some really unpopular moves to make it work under next year's salary cap.

How on earth does giving up a first for Jay Bouwmeesters $6.7million cap hit help Philly make it under next years salary cap? Couturier and Simmonds combine for $5.4 million next year, so your suggestion makes absolutely no sense. Cap space is very important. Therefore, you will be lucky to get a bag of pucks for Bouwmeester, let alone two young players, one of whom is still on his rookie contract, and a pick. Maybe you can rent him out at next years deadline, when his cap hit is prorated.

How on earth does giving up a first for Jay Bouwmeesters $6.7million cap hit help Philly make it under next years salary cap? Couturier and Simmonds combine for $5.4 million next year, so your suggestion makes absolutely no sense. Cap space is very important. Therefore, you will be lucky to get a bag of pucks for Bouwmeester, let alone two young players, one of whom is still on his rookie contract, and a pick. Maybe you can rent him out at next years deadline, when his cap hit is prorated.

If you would have read the entire proposal, it included eating half of Bouwmeester's cap hit. So Philly would be responsible for $3.35.

So it's Bouwmeester at half the cost, for a potential number one center that Philly seems to have given up on, a winger that reminds me of a younger, less talented Iginla, and a good faith draft pick. Again, an ideal transaction for Feaster to go after. I can see one of Couturier or Simmonds coming easily enough, and the draft pick being at least a second rounder.

So, again... my proposal was ideal for the Flames. I see Feaster settling at one of the two players and a 1st, or one of them and a pair of 2nd/3rd picks. Again, eating half of Bouwmeester's cap hit. (Thank you, Brian Burke.)

I read HF Boards a lot. You will not be getting anything close to this:

To Philadelphia:

Jay Bouwmeester

To Calgary:

Sean Couturier

Wayne Simmonds

1st Round Pick

Couturier is not moving. They're sucking this year, so they won't be moving their 1st. And I believe Simmonds is one of their better wingers, so it seems unlikely they will be moving him. But all three for Jay Bo? No chance in hell. No matter how much cap you eat.

Plus, your GM is Feaster, you'll be lucky to get a 2nd.

Holy hell, Nazim Kadri is a completely different player than he was last year. He looks a lot more confident, and a lot more patient. He's dumping the puck and controlling the tempo instead of just trying to barrell in and score every shift.

The game tonight was a lot better than the shots would suggest. The Leafs looked good. There were periods where they looked a bit outclassed, but the didn't last long and James Reimer bailed them out. Should be a good run to the playoffs for the Leafs. At least I will have some meaningful games to watch for the rest of the season.

Something needed to change in Tampa Bay.

I personally don't feel like Boucher was given a lot to work with, and that he's a small part of a bigger problem. Yeah, it's his job to work with what he's given, and he could have done better at stressing a better defensive game. But the problems in Tampa Bay start in net. They need a goalie. When you can't count on your goalie to be there when he needs to be, the rest of the team starts to play differently. There's no confidence that you can jump up offensively, and when a bad goal goes in, it completely changes the players' mindset for the rest of the game.

I believe that Steve Yzerman failed Guy Boucher, and that he will be behind the bench for another team sooner than later.

The worst part of this, is that Yzerman has handcuffed himself pretty badly with what he has to work with in regards to acquiring a better goalie. The only way he can do it right now is by moving out popular players or really good picks/prospects. Neither of which will look good if he does it. He's in a pretty bad spot right now, where the most attractive option is to bring in a new coach and hope that Anders Lindback starts to show up.

@DarrenDreger: Source say the Pens and Stars have a trade in place for Brendan Morrow. However, he has yet to waive no trade clause.

Wow. I'm not sure this pulls Pittsburgh out of the hunt for Iginla, but I would hazard a guess that they're not quite comfortable with what Feaster is asking for.

I figured that Iggy would move first, and then Morrow would be a Plan B for a lot of teams.

What does Dallas want back though? Tyler Kennedy and Beau Bennett are the two I would guess at if the deal includes a forward. Of course, Pittsburgh also has incredible depth on the blueline in their system, so maybe something on the back end.

EDIT: Dreger is reporting that Joe Morrow (a defensive prospect for the Pens) would be part of the deal heading back to Dallas. Morrow is capable of stepping in sooner than later, but may need some more development to reach his full potential, which has a pretty high ceiling. Good job on the deal from Nieuwendyk's end.