The Continuing Chronicles Of Jay Feaster's Incompetence

Ruki

What about a Myers for Bouwmeester deal. He could eat up a lot of minutes for Buffalo. Myers has a cap hit until 2019 though.

The last bit is exactly why that's a bad idea. One high potential, high paid underperformer for another? Nope.

Honestly Gabe, you have absolutely zero grasp of how little leverage Calgary has in this situation. This is the best-case-scenario for Calgary right now. Trade guys looking for a fresh start. Maybe if Bouwmeester's dollars were a little better you'd get him for a first (as has been the premium for minute-munchers in years past)

Oh no, I completely understand what the situation is. If we could have gotten a first for him, Feaster would have pulled the trigger before the lockout began with Detroit. There are complications and intricacies that need to be examined when making a deal with a player who makes this much money, and who the team obviously is going to want a certain kind of return for.

I really don't think it's as easy as just saying "Here, have Jay Bouwmeester, and we'll take your first pick this year". I just don't think that Flames ownership understands the situation that the team is in. They don't want to move out big pieces, because that's the same as saying they made a mistake. Phaneuf, obviously, being the exception because of turmoil in the dressing room.

Because I don't think they realize that now is the perfect time to re-tool (and that it should have happened at least a year ago), I don't think that they're trying hard enough to move out a piece like Bouwmeester, who can benefit another team.

I don't even think they should worry about what the return is. In a shortened season that we obviously aren't Cup contenders in, it's the perfect time to give more ice time to Wideman and Brodie, and see if they can fill JayBo's shoes. I'd be happy with a mediocre center and late picks. It gives other guys the opportunity to make the team theirs. But Ken King and Flames ownership have proven to be extremely tough to deal with.

Brent Sutter wasn't a bad coach. He was working with pieces that didn't fit what he needed to be successful, and the powers that be wouldn't make the appropriate changes. Bob Hartley is going to go down the same road if Feaster can't convince ownership to let him do his job. Even if we don't move Bouwmeester, there are changes needed. Move whatever guys that can fetch a return that will (or potentially could) fill a hole.

Tyler Myers is a fantastic prospect, but if we're looking at a problem for problem deal, I don't want to bring in a guy who is just going to hand us the same issues. Bring in a center who needs a revitalization, or a goalie who's fallen from grace but has the potential to be a number one in the future. Not another big, talented, smooth skating defenseman who can't get his shit together.

DiPietro's contract is worth over 3 million in the minors, so the Isles have close to 9 million committed this year to goalies that won't be playing for them. Is there a Charles Wang meme of some kind that we can just use as shorthand here?

Will be interested to see what the supplemental discipline looks like for a first overall pick - Hall dumped Clutterbuck last night with a pretty vicious knee-on-knee hit in open ice.

The result of the Vancouver game wasn't great but:

THAT was great.

• Like 1

Once Reimer and Frattin are back, we'll be good.

And then when Lupul comes back, we'll be golden.

But do you move JVR down, when he has been playing well with Kessel? or do you let Lupul play with Grabo or Kadri?

Leave JVR on the top line unless/until he gets on a cold streak. Grabo's on a checking line with Kulemin and Komarov. So Lupul plays with Kadri and Mac, or Kadri and Frattin. When everyone's healthy, someone has to get moved. It's a simple numbers game. There's too many NHL-calibre bodies on this team. If Nonis is serious about getting a #1C, the next two or three weeks is the time to do it.

I love Detroit in with us. Personally, I'd have an all Original Six division. Let the other teams fight it out amongst themselves.

I hate that eight teams from each conference make the playoffs. Eight of 16 in the east and eight of 14 in the west. The whole argument the NHLPA had against the old 4-division format was the lopsided playoff odds. This is even worse.

The problem is they're trying to make four groups with 30 teams. 28 teams would work. As does 32. Not 30. If they want four divisions, have the Wild Card spots be from any division, not just within the same conference. Three qualifiers per division, and the other four teams are the best in the rest of the league. If that means all seven teams from the Mid-West advance, so be it.