Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Benji said:

Gotham sucked hard at the start. Like it was legitimately almost unwatchable. It got better, but even that still struggles from time to time, and that was a show based around Jim Gordon and the demise of Gotham into what you see when Batman comes about, which is a story which does have some intrigue. Superman's home planet involving a bunch of people who don't have the existing historical investment in Superman's story just doesn't hold that interest.

And superhero TV shows have very much outstayed their welcome for me. This is a list of shows currently active/in development just based on Marvel/DC properties, and I got rid of a fair few that had very loose connections too:

• Arrow
  • The Flash
  • Gotham        
  • Supergirl
  • Legends of Tomorrow
  • Black Lightning
  • Krypton
  • Titans
  • Metropolis
  • Watchmen
  • Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • Daredevil
  • Jessica Jones
  • Luke Cage
  • Legion
  • Iron Fist
  • Inhumans
  • The Gifted
  • The Punisher
  • Runaways
  • Cloak & Dagger
  • New Warriors

That's an absurd amount of telly. I love superheroes, but these TV shows are getting to a point where they're so dime a dozen they're basically procedural cop shows in the 00's. It makes them feel less special, and - at least for me - the quantity is diluting the quality.

Inhumans got cancelled after their first season, for good reason because it was utter trash.

I feel the Netflix stuff (Punisher, JJ, LC, IF, DD, Defenders) works pretty well too because they are short-seasoned and is a lot more condensed in story. Agents of SHIELD is one of the best shows on cable some weeks, and i'll fight anyone who claims differently.

I watched Arrow and Flash, gave up on both of them after a while. I'm not bothered by the other DC properties because they all seem to follow the same general format, and I just can't motivate myself to watch a season of 22 episodes where you can be certain that around 16 of those episodes are mostly villain of the week fluff. Again, Agents of SHIELD gets a pass because it is heavily serialized and there's arguably not enough filler sometimes.

If you would watch all of the list, you'd spent a shitload of time, that much is certain. But I for one don't, even though i'm a Super-buff for these sorts of films and series.

If you would condense it to just Marvel, it would be these...

• MCU Shows
    • Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (22 ep/s)
    • Daredevil (8 ep/s)
    • Jessica Jones (8 ep/s)
    • Luke Cage (8 ep/s)
    • Iron Fist (8 ep/s)
    • The Punisher (13 ep/s)
    • The Defender (8 ep/s)
    • Cloak & Dagger (10 ep/s Freeform only)
    • Runaways (10 ep/s Hulu only)
    • New Warriors (Still in pre-prod)
    • Inhumans (Cancelled after Season 1)
  • FOX-Men Universe
    • Legion (8 ep/s)
    • The Gifted (13/s)

[/quote]

On top of that, the six Netflix shows don't all air in the same year. Netflix only releases 2-3 shows a year. The only show amongst all of those to have a full half-year season is Agents of SHIELD, which again is positively great on a weekly basis.

It's a shitload of shows to watch, but Marvel makes sure that their MCU shows aren't running concurrently. So it's easier to get through. Catching up is a whole different story, and god save those brave people...

If you look at the DC stuff though, it's fucking insane because most of their shows are half-year ones. Arrow/Flash/Supergirl/Gotham/Lucifer are all shows that run 20 or more episodes a season. So just between those five you have 100+ episodes to watch if you want to watch it all. Just the Arrowverse (Arrow/Flash/Supergirl/LoT) is a whopping 87 episodes for just this past year!

I agree the market is getting bloated, but one side is trying to control the amount of IP's they're releasing (Marvel, to an extent) to keep some sort of coherence to it all, and one side has opened the floodgates with whatever will possibly make them money.

Only defenders was eight episodes, the others were all twelve or thirteen, but you make a good point. I only keep up to date with the Netflix stuff, and it doesn't feel like it would be difficult to start from the beginning for a new person. You couldn't pay me to watch all the arrowverse stuff.

I do agree that are many shows, but just because these shows are being producing/airing doesn't mean You have to watch all.I have never watched Gotham but obviusly lots of people are,the same as lots of people aren't watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D but I do.

As any tv genre they are going to be good and bad shows,and shows that are more suited to your tastes than others, the only 2 shows i watch from week to week is Flash and the aforementioned AOS, then cath up to the others I like between season's.

• Like 1

I don't think there's really an oversaturation of superhero TV as much as it's an oversaturation of TV in general. There are tons of shows on at the moment so it's hard to keep up with all of them so you really have to end up choosing which ones to spend your time on.

But I personally love that that's the case. I've made peace with the fact that I can't watch everything but I do admire the fact that a lot of different stories can be told now, superhero or not. 

• Like 1

Arrow, Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow all renewed. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 12:26, Benjamin said:

After this week's Legends of Tomorrow, I hope it never, ever ends. "Guest Starring John Noble" is one of the best episodes of a comic book show ever. 

The season finale was even better

A time demon gave a blue furred kid's toy a German suplex in the middle of the wild west where cowboys and cowgirls were doing battle with Legionaires, pirates, and vikings

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yes it was fucking fantastic! Legends of Tomorrow is fucking amazing. Still think I like the penultimate episode but my god, that finale. 

Spoiler

Beebo is their Voltron, because of course it fucking is! Now the Scandinavians will hopefully worship him in cannon.

And I so can't fucking wait for next season.

Spoiler

Demon hunting! Fucking YES.

• Like 1

https://screenrant.com/titans-tv-show-live-action-starfire/

I'm gonna give this one a pass.

I realize the budget isn't there for this...

8e984a11f93019f3b6e08e1e4b427679.jpg

But like, there's a good looking middle ground in there somewhere.

Yep. She looks like the hooker in a Law and Order episode that reluctantly talks to the cops because she's worried about the new girl on the block that went missing.

• Like 1

No? There's nothing wrong with the word hooker. " We're going to make our own ___ with backjack and hookers!" is one of the most common jokes on this forum.

They took that woman, dressed her like a typical Crime TV show  veteran hooker and said it's Starfire.

There's more going on there than that coat.

If part of what she's wearing isn't majorly involved in her regular costume then there'd be no reason for it and her makeup to be purple like Starefire's costume. Oliver doesn't walk around Arrow constantly wearing green so we don't forget he's Green Arrow. They're not the Power Rangers.

Like I see the skirt coming off the dress to make it a one piece kind of thing with boots and  that's a good idea but......

Even then the wig is horrible unless they CG the fuck out of it and I can't see them doing elaborate flame hair CG because they'd need to keep it up all the time along with making her eyes glow during fights and doing her starbolt attacks. They'd just be better off giving her a wig that's about like her real hair and more orange than the red of the one they have on her.

I'll give them credit if the whole thing looks nice in the end but this brings no faith. Especially since Starfire is one of my favorite characters and I'm gonna be super judgy from the start. Maybe they'll pull a Harley and make something that grows on me. 

I just saw Beast Boy and Raven too by the way. 

Nota huge fan of BB in general so I have 0 care for his look outside of being glad they didn't try to make him green. Oh and he kinda looks like he popped out of the Smallville era of DC TV.

Raven looks nice but she's crowded so I can't see everything. I figured they'd just go goth and go with black instead of blue with her clothes and hair though. That blue is kind of bright. Are they doing Nightwing or Robin? Giving Raven blue makes me feel like they'd be going Robin instead.

its Robin as he transitions into Nightwing

• Thanks 1