Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warner Bros. TV is rapidly expanding its live-action DC Comics TV universe. This season, it is going from one to four primetime series, returning Arrow and freshmen The Flash, Gotham and Constantine, and already is prepping another major broadcast franchise with Supergirl. Now the studio is expanding the DC brand to cable drama with Titans, a project that is nearing a pilot order at TNT. Titans is one of three TNT drama pilots stuck on the runaway, awaiting a formal green light as the network is undergoing a regime change. The other two are Lumen from Amblin TV and the Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay-produced Untitled Cocaine project (formerly Cocaine Cowboys).

Written by Oscar winner Akiva Goldsman and executive-turned-scribe Marc Haimes, Titans revolves around the eponymous group of young Super Heroes-to-be from the DC Universe. The action series centers on Dick Grayson (probably best known for his alter ego as Robin), who emerges from the shadow of Batman to become Nightwing, the leader of a fearless band of new Super Heroes including Starfire, Raven and many others. Goldsman executive produces, with Haimes serving as co-executive producer for WBTV’s cable division Warner Horizon.

WBTV has been mining the Titans characters on the animation side with the kids series Teen Titans and Teen Titans Go! on sister Cartoon Network.

I am so behind a Teen Titans show with Nightwing as the main character. Supergirl will be interesting, I'm hoping they manage to learn from the mistakes made with Smallville.

Kind of weird too, how do you do Supergirl without including Superman in some way? She's one of the original female spin-off heroes.

Michael Bay-produced Untitled Cocaine project

:shifty:

Also yeah I tend to agree that a Teen Titans live action show would be incredibly hit or miss. A lot of things would have to come together for it to do well, I think.

I feel like a Teen Titans show has to exist in a wider world to some extent. At the very least, Batman needs to be a thing, or man, you lose some of the greatest pieces of Dick's story.

Unless they go with Tim Drake as Red Robin, but then who wants that?

I hope they just bite the bullet and feature him in a background role occasionally. It'd be a nice treat and I really don't think anyone would think "Why isn't Batman in it all the time?" if the show worked without him.

The Teen Titans cartoon did well without showing Batman. Just acknowledge he's a thing in the world and has a relationship with Nightwing.

I don't think they're building up to Civil War at all, or if they are, it'll be with an entirely different premise than in the comics.

Civil War was largely based around the notion of secret identities; the entire registration of superheroes thing doesn't really fly in the Marvel cinematic Universe, because who there has a secret identity? Everyone knows who Iron Man, Hulk and Captain America are, Thor has no secret identity, and no one else significant enough does either.

I've always said that Civil War in the MCU would be stupid and there's better stories to build to that'll actually work. But all this talk of Cap 3 having a mind blowing title makes me think they're using the title of "Civil War" and basing some story around it, rather than actually doing Civil War.

Because again, the 10 or so heroes active in the MCU is not enough to do Civil War with. Like, at all.

I don't think it's going to happen soon but I wouldn't be surprised if it was apart of Feige's long-term vision. Remember they've said that Marvel has like the next 20 years mapped out so who knows what they have up their sleeve.