European Football Thread

IAceI

The Spanish football league is investigating Deportivo La Coruna's 4-0 win over Levante on 13 April over a possible case of match-fixing.

Deportivo, who are fighting relegation from La Liga, scored three times in 16 first-half minutes at Levante.

Midfielder Javier Barkero was reported by local media to have accused some of his Levante team-mates of not trying.

"Any game where there's suspicion will be investigated," a Spanish football league spokesman said.

The match under investigation saw Juan Carlos Valeron opened the scoring for Deportivo La Coruna in the 11th minute.

Pizzi doubled the lead after 19 minutes, before Nelson Oliveira made it 3-0 eight minutes later.

Bruno Gama completed the scoring in the 91st minute.

Levante, who are 12th in La Liga, issued a statement on its website (external) saying it will

"help and collaborate with any investigation".

• 2 weeks later...

So...last night Benfica (1st) played Porto (2nd) in their second-to-last league game of the season. They had been unbeaten all season and a win would seal the title - even a draw would probably see them safe at two points ahead.

Then in the 91st minute...this happened.

http://youtu.be/z8Qmsjy1c9s

In the words of BBC live text: Scenes of jubilation and despair inside the stadium in Porto. Incredible, incredible drama. Some of the Benfica players look as though their world has ended.

Selfishly, I can't help but think this only aids Chelsea's chances this Wednesday. :shifty:

I bet GoN was devastated.

I was... That's the reason I didn't even talk about it, around here until now. It gets even worse as we were 4 points over them just a week ago. It was incredibly painful.

And to be honest, after that I can't even think about the Chelsea game.

What looked like some staggering play-acting from Gabi just got Ronaldo sent off in the Copa del Rey...

Courtois just got hit in the head by something thrown from the crowd...

It's all kicking off here. :mellow:

Edit: Atletico win 2-1. Deserved in that Real had several chances that they failed to make count - just a shame it all went fucking silly during Extra Time.