2012/13 Europa League thread

Lineker

We were discussing it at half time last night, everyone around me would rather have won last night then win the derby Sunday. Top 4 is important, but a fans point of view should never be 'get in the Champions League for more money', it should be 'get in the Champions League, try to win it'. Mmm... cups.

Anyway, gutted about last night, moreso just down to the way we built a mountain with the silly mistakes in the first leg. Benfica looked quality first half but Pardews gameplan worked perfectly in terms of holding til halftime. Second half for long spells Benfica couldn't string two passes together, and there were a few 'if only' moments between a Ben Arfa strike, some typical Cisse offsides and what seemed a fairly decent penalty shout. Ref completely bottled the most blatant second yellow card you'll ever see for Almeida shortly before the Benfica goal too. Oh well, (year after) next year...

Spurs fans calling other people bad winners is a laugh considering the amount of AHAHAHAHAH FUCK YOU ARSENAL every other week.

Fucking this. Lolenham Hotlols indeed. Stokeriño was glorious though.

And yeah, trophies over league position any day. And I say that as an Arsenal fan. Anyone who says otherwise, Wenger included, are just trying to save face.

It has always seemed fairly obvious that in the trifecta of Arsenal/Chelsea/Spurs, fans of two will always mercilessly gang up on the other one when the opportunity presents itself.

As it should be.

We were discussing it at half time last night, everyone around me would rather have won last night then win the derby Sunday. Top 4 is important, but a fans point of view should never be 'get in the Champions League for more money', it should be 'get in the Champions League, try to win it'. Mmm... cups.

Anyway, gutted about last night, moreso just down to the way we built a mountain with the silly mistakes in the first leg. Benfica looked quality first half but Pardews gameplan worked perfectly in terms of holding til halftime. Second half for long spells Benfica couldn't string two passes together, and there were a few 'if only' moments between a Ben Arfa strike, some typical Cisse offsides and what seemed a fairly decent penalty shout. Ref completely bottled the most blatant second yellow card you'll ever see for Almeida shortly before the Benfica goal too. Oh well, (year after) next year...

I obviously agree that the second half was all yours, but there weren't that many clear goal chances. And we could have ended it in the first half with the way the game was going.

• Like 1

I obviously agree that the second half was all yours, but there weren't that many clear goal chances. And we could have ended it in the first half with the way the game was going.

Maybe, but there weren't that many clear goal chances :P

Nah, you definitely deserved it over the two legs, but it was really nice to see us really compete with a big European side (how many unbeaten now?) and not be completely outclassed. But for a few injuries (Simpson and Williamson were actually okay last night, but a fit Debuchy and Ben Arfa would've caused some problems on the right) who knows how we could've done.

Your flares made our twats look silly too...

Yeah, I'm glad we gave the Europa League a good go and I do hope it encourages other teams to do the same. AVB's attitude has changed mine towards the competition as well. It's a cop-out to say I'm glad that we can focus on the league, but I hope us going out will help our league run. However, if we don't make top 4, I'm really looking forward to us in the competition again. It's been a lot of fun watching football I care about on a thursday night.

I'm hoping Rafa can win stuff with Chelsea and then leave as he intends. It would be wonderful given the reaction he got when he was hired.

That's an interesting theory. It would seem to boil down to Rafa being paid millions of pounds to be a bit of a petulant child.

As opposed to the fans whose chance for petulance comes at the cost of £55 a go. :shifty:

That's an interesting theory. It would seem to boil down to Rafa being paid millions of pounds to be a bit of a petulant child.

As opposed to the fans whose chance for petulance comes at the cost of £55 a go. :shifty:

Aren't both of those things the fault of your ownership rather than Rafa?

Yes, hiring Rafa (and firing RDM) was the fault of the board. This shouldn't preclude criticism of Rafa: just as you wouldn't preclude criticism of All Players Anywhere just because someone else brought them into the squad.

I assume the other one of "both those things" you're referring to is the ticket price? I wasn't saying it was too much (I mean, in the context of the Premier League and all) - just constrasting the spending of money to being paid money.