2012/13 Europa League thread

Lineker

Not exactly smooth going for any of the English teams, but pretty good results in the end. I had flicked to Liverpool late on hoping they'd get that winner, then Mr Suarez decided to walk over someone's back and I went back to Chelsea.

Amazing atmosphere, I literally have no voice left after that. Anfield has not been like that in a long time and on its night nowhere in England will get close to getting an atmosphere like that.

Gutted that we went out but at the same time I'm quite happy with how the team did considering after Carraghers amazing backpass we needed 4 goals and to get it to 3-3 on aggregate and come so close i'm quite happy. I agree though that the subs while giving us more of an attacking threat at the same time it took away the stability we had in midfield as when Henderson and Allen came off we seemed to lose that stability and become a bit more erratic and lose possession more.

Still, great night at Anfield stood in the Kop and I can't really complain as a few days before the game I was thinking it was going to be a pointless match.

• 2 weeks later...

No recognised striker starting for Newcastle, but some top technical players in the front six (barring Obertan unless he's having a confident day). Back four more shaky, Williamson is clearly on his way out with Perch in, and Simpson...

Elliot, Haidara, Perch, Yanga-Mbiwa, Simpson, Cabaye, Anita, Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Obertan, Sissoko.

Edit: Two sets of adverts already and loads of talk about Gareth Bale, can we go back to ESPN please?

Edited by Colly

Urgh, they hype Bale up loads, it pisses me off. He's good, but he aint no Messi or Ronaldo. Also am I the only one expecting a Anji/Anzhi win? I want Newcastle to win because I have nothing against them, but I just don't see them winning.

Urgh, they hype Bale up loads, it pisses me off. He's good, but he aint no Messi or Ronaldo. Also am I the only one expecting a Anji/Anzhi win? I want Newcastle to win because I have nothing against them, but I just don't see them winning.

Has anyone claimed he is? All I've heard is people say he's in the class below those 2. Which isn't too much of a stretch.

Bit surprised at the poor Newcastle turn out. Would have expected 3 or 400 even with the long trip. Not as though they've been regulars in Europe for 5 or 6 years.

I know its childish, but I giggle whenever they say 'Jerk off'

Quiet you - I still love Yuri!

At least this is a home game for the Anzhi players... It's one of the few matches they don't have to get on a plane for!