Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

The reality is United will probably start chopping and changing managers every 2 seasons, just like everybody else. Fergie was a one-off. If United don't win the league next year, questions will be asked.

For example, if Moyes finishes 3rd with United in his first year, he will probably be gone.

Personally, I think if the situation arose where Moyes had been appointed and stuttered in his first season as United boss, all it would need would be the occasional reiteration from SAF that Moyes was "his choice" and "the right choice" and I think they would get over it.

The reality is United will probably start chopping and changing managers every 2 seasons, just like everybody else. Fergie was a one-off. If United don't win the league next year, questions will be asked.

For example, if Moyes finishes 3rd with United in his first year, he will probably be gone.

Doubt it with Fergie on the board.

I thought the deal with Moyes was that his contract with Everton was expiring at the end of the season and was stalling on signing another one because he was tempted to go to Germany. If United saw Moyes as a long term choice then maybe they realised that it was now or never. There would be no guarantee that he'd go to United if he was performing well in the Champions League in Germany.

• Admin

I'm amazed this hasn't got it's own thread. I don't come in to the Sports Bar often, but I had to for this. It's the end of a massive era in not just Man Utd's history, but in the history of competitive football. No manager has so consistently done at one club what Fergie has done during his tenure at Utd. The man is an absolute legend, and love him or hate him you should respect the man who has spent the last two plus decades as the top manager in one of the top divisions in the world.

Fuck the speculation about who's next, let's just appreciate what he's done over the last twenty plus years as a behemoth of English and international football.

You're right, but it's a little late for that now :P.

Shocked by the news, talk about mission impossible for his successor! I imagine it will end up being Moyes.

• Admin

Just to compare Fergie's longevity to the rest of the football league's managers, the top ten in terms of duration will now read: Wenger (Arsenal), Moyes (Everton), Pulis (Stoke), Tisdale (Exeter), Abbott (Carlisle), Wilder (Oxford), Clough (Derby), Martinez (Wigan), Poyet (Brighton), and Mancini (Man City). If Moyes were to go then you can add Mark Yates at Cheltenham to that list (and just for myke, he's followed by Russell Slade at Orient!)

The fact that Mancini is in the top 10 already is mind-boggling.

Whether it ends up being Moyes or not, I'd love Mourinho to quit as Real boss today to stir it up a bit.

They're saying on SSN that United haven't announced anything because they're waiting for the successor to leave his current post first.